+ Reply to Thread

Default What kind of Fence will Best Preserve a Hillside View?

We want to replace or repair our current fence. We want the fence to blend in or be "invisble." Whatever IS seen, we'd like to be tasteful. We want to keep the deer out and our dog in.

What type of fence and what color would you recommend? Also pictures to help us understand might be helpful and so are appreciated, but not critical. Thank you!

We have a 1/3 of an acre hillside lot. The lower yard is about 4 feet (near) to 10 feet (far) lower than the upper yard.

The lower yard currently has a galvanized chain-link fence (posts but no header or footer bars between the posts). Deer jump over the fence (often to get out, bending sections of the chain-link) and cats, moles, skunks and raccons likewise invade (perhaps underneath or through some of the holes in it).

One more thing: We must keep a gate so as to permit/gain access to the lower yard from a wood chip covered service road along the lower run of the fence. So the construction around the gate must accomodate/permit/incorporate about a 16 ft wide gate.

Default Re: What kind of Fence will Best Preserve a Hillside View?

Unfortunately, no fence can give you everything you want from a fence, and you want a lot.

You have to define your priorities and list the things you want from a fence which are the most important to you.

Fence styles, colors, materials and quality vary a lot. Talk to some local fence builders, to get some creative ideas.

I'm guessing a field-wire fence is going to be your best option. You may need to make the fence 8' tall to keep the deer out; this may mean two levels of field-wire.

Here's a site with some pictures: http://www.greenhillfence.com/deer.html
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I agree with Fencepost. Wood posts and woven wire 8 ft. high, is the only thing that will come close to doing all that you ask.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

To preserve the view, use metal fence (chain link, wrought iron).

To stop deers, build an 8' fence.

To stop rodents, critters and small animals, build a block wall fence with footing (at leat 18").

There is a way to combine a block wall fence and a metal fence, and you'll get more of what you want: block wall 3' or 4' high and a metal fence on top 4' or 5' high.

Put the fence as far down the slope as possible to reduce how much it restricts your view.

Black fencing will restrict your view the least since it reflects the least amount of light back towards you.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical