+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tile on tile.

Default Tile on tile.

We remodeled our master bathroom using 0.5 inch thick porcelain tile that has a glossy marble finish in a large format 12 x 35 inch tile on the walls from floor to ceiling and 17 x 17 inch tile on the floors. The tile layer used sand grout instead of the epoxy he was supposed to use. Then, in replacing the grout with epoxy, he used a Dremel to remove the grout which chipped most of the tile. He also failed to clean the tiles well after replacing the sand grout with epoxy, so many of the tiles now have permanent streaks as well. As a result, our bathroom has to be redone. Now, rather than removing the layer of damaged tile from the walls and starting from scratch, he wants to simply tile over the wall tile with a second layer of the same tile. He said he would remove the floor tile, but not the wall tile because it is too labor intensive. According to our supplier, the additional layer of tile on the walls would mean 14,000 pounds of tile instead of 7,000 pounds. Our house is 113 years old and the bathroom is on the second floor, so the supplier is worried it may not handle the extra weight. The supplier also said the tile will not adhere correctly to a layer of tile underneath and we may have major issues down the road if we let the tile layer proceed. Any recommendations? Thank you so much

Default Re: Tile on tile.

First off get a new tiler. This guy sounds like a disaster looking for a place to happen. He already has two strikes don't let him make the third at your expense. I would follow the suppliers instructions.

John

Not only you need a new tile man like john said, you need one who can calculate and verify that your second floor can carry the 7,000 lbs you refer to.

The first 7000 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    First off get a new tiler. This guy sounds like a disaster looking for a place to happen. He already has two strikes don't let him make the third at your expense. I would follow the suppliers instructions.

John
    Ditto that ----
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Don't say what I would to this "tiler" but run him off as fast as you can and find another one. The "John Bridge Tile" site has forums that may help you find someone competent.

Phil

Thanks for all of the advice. We're going to try to go through the tile layer's insurance and get someone completely new to do it correctly. Our contractor is also anxious to wash his hands of the deal and thought it would be fine to do tile over tile, so I'm thinking we'll get the best results if we handle it directly ourselves. I'm just hoping the insurance company doesn't make it difficult.

Smile Re: Tile on tile.

You have more patience than me. I'd have fired him after the Dremmel issue. yeah what John said..