+ Reply to Thread

Thread: back yard

Default back yard

I have three dogs. But one likes to dig up all the grass and make large holes in the yard is there neey way I can stop my dogs from diging

Default Re: back yard

Short leash?

pawcuffs ??

Don;t own dogs if you want a nice looking back yard. I'm not sure I've even seen a healthy backyard lawn of a dog owner. IF it's not holes then it's dead spots and poop everywhere.

TO each his own, but I'm not a dog person, hassle and stress is not equal to the rewards. I think some families get a dog because it's a "check box" for their perfect family. That's ust my $0.02. I'm also a bigger fan of indoor dogs than dogs that are left outdoors a large portion of the time.

I would think standard trainig methods apply. Reward good behavior with treats. Give them something else ot occupy their time. THey might just be bored.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Quote Originally Posted by cindyziemies View Post
    I have three dogs. But one likes to dig up all the grass and make large holes in the yard is there neey way I can stop my dogs from diging
    We would love to hear what you ended up doing here.

My wife used to complain about doggie-do in the yard. I just told her I was into organic fertilization! After our Cocker died at the age of 16, she said "no more dogs!"

You can have a nice yard and dogs at the same time it just takes a lot of work. I have a 3 yr old Alaskan Malamute and her favorite pass time is digging. We tried just about everything to get her to stop. Finally after doing some research and consulting a few trainers we came up with a solution. In the back corner of our yard, out of sight is a "sandbox" specifically for her to dig in. After praising her a few times for digging there, she stopped digging else where in the yard. Sounds crazy but it works. As for those pesky pee spots, makes sure your dog is drinking plenty of water, more water consumption dilutes the acidity of the pee, or you can follow them around with a hose and water down the spot where they pee'd after their done.
    Hope that helps