+ Reply to Thread

Default flooding at high water

Hi, I live in New Hampshire on a lake and am only 6" above water level. When it rains a lot in a good storm my cellar gets flooded. I am looking for a good way to pump the water back into the lake. WE have about a 50' run to the lake. Any help would be grateful.I have a patio under my deck and that is where the water comes in. We do have a pump in the cellar but, that only takes care of the water after it comes in the house.

Default Re: flooding at high water

I'd begin by checking the slope on the patio- it needs to drain away from the house. !/8" per foot is minimum but I like more near the house to keep wind-driven rain at bay better. Plus I like a bit of drop between the patio and the house, 3/8" is usually good enough there. If that is all OK then water is getting in somewhere between the two, through the foundation walls, or under a door. Your water table isn't going to be very far down with the lake that close so unless your cellar is as waterproof as a boat you're going to get some water inside. It's always better to keep water out than to deal with it after it gets in. Even then it's always best to have a plan for water that does get in.

As to getting rid of what comes in, in your situation most of the usual answers are out because of the minimal slope and high water table because of the lake. According to who controls the riparian rights you may not be able to run a pump drain back to the lake or you may be required to stay a certain distance away. If you can run a drain pipe I would go with PVC run just under the surface, being positive that the entire line has slope toward the lake. With just 6" drop over 50' it's below minimum recommended slope but it's all you've got to work with. I'd also go with 1 1/2 to 2 times the diameter of the pump outlet so that the minimal slope doesn't back up. I would not go with anything but smooth pipe for the same reason- even partial blockages will cause you grief.

Living on a lake is nice but I can't fathom why anyone would build a cellar in this situation. The water table is so high that this would be nearly impossible to waterproof effectively and permanently. But it's there so you've got to deal with it. I wish you well but to be honest I doubt you're going to keep the water out, so I'd be thinking about a really good sump pump setup with emergency backup. I'd also want to have some very good ventilation there too because it's always going to be damp.

Phil