Hello!

I just pulled up three layers of old flooring to find that felt like paper on the floor. Fortunately, I read from another poster here to use water to loosen the paper. It worked beautifully!

Now, I after a few washings, I am finding 5 inch wide boards with reddish stain, a mustard colored milk paint (I think), and some dark, almost black boards. It's very distressed and worn looking and perfect for my kitchen renovaton!

I'm thinking I may want a glaze of a mustard color to soften the look just a bit and pull it all together. My kitchen will have new cabinets, some hand painted tiles(I'm doing this myself and it's great fun!), lots of antique copper (to include an old copper hood I found near Chicago at reuseit!) some beams and so on.

I could use bit of pigment added to an oil based poly and then coat it a few times to seal it. I could use a colored wax, briwax makes some beautiful colors, and then use clear coats on this.

My last house had wonderful oak floors that I waxed and buffed twice a year. The maid's quarters in the home had a wider pine floor that we sanded and stained and sealed with poly. In all honesty, I really preferred the waxed finish. The patina was beautiful. I didn't find waxing to be a problem. Since this is the kitchen, however, I believe there will be more upkeep.

Any comments on adding the mustard pigment (yellow ochre) to the oil poly?

Any comments on using a wax in the kitchen?

Thanks in advance!