+ Reply to Thread

Default 1930s stone / shingle house with slate roof

i own a house built in 1930. it's a center hall colonial. looking at it from the front, the first floor is stone venere (though fairly thick venere), and the second floor is cedar shingles that looks like clapboard (i've been told that it's called "perfection cedar" and supposedly they are unusually thick). the roof is vermont slate that kind of matches the color of the stone venere.

my question: the house is not insulated at all and the windows are old. i need to move / enlarge some windows, replace other windows, and add insulation. my contractor is suggesting removing the old shingles, insulating via blown cellulose and foam boards on top of the sheathing, and replacing the shingles with hardieboard. insulating the stone part will be trickier and may require blowing in cellulose from the inside.

supposedly leaving the cedar siding on the house would make insulating / dealing with the new windows much more difficult.

does anyone have any comments on this approach? i'm a bit concerned about what a house would look like -- half stone, half synthetic siding material with a slate house. at the same time, i think it's extremely important to have a well insulated / comfortable house.

thank you

Default Re: 1930s stone / shingle house with slate roof

the blown in insulation can be done on the entire house from the interior. it's just a matter of exactly matching the painted interior walls or repainting the entire wall. depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. regarding the exterior approach, there are several options for redoing the cedar shingles. one is to simply replace the shingles that are drilled into and them paint them to match the others. also, several companies make non-wood products that can look basically as authentic as the look you currently have. check out certainteed's site and hardi's site, get some samples from your supplier and touch, feel, hold them up to the house and see if they fall within your satisfaction level.

Default Re: 1930s stone / shingle house with slate roof

Your contractor will end up lowering the value of your house. Insulate from the inside.