+ Reply to Thread

Default Digging up unwanted bushes and shrubs

Hi. I'm new to being a homeowner and our house has some rather unsightly (and numerous) shrubs and bushes in the front. I'm in the process of clearing them out, but I'm having a lot of diffculty with removing the base and the roots from the ground. Anyone know what is the easiest way to get them completely removed (aside from hiring a landscaper )?

Default Re: Digging up unwanted bushes and shrubs

Sporticus, tearing out bushes and shrubs is a hearty task for someone living in LazyTown.

I have an F-150 truck and this is what's worked for me: I wrap something (rope, heavy duty strap, cable, chain, whatever's handy at the time) around the base of the bush and then connect it to my hitch. I just ease away steadily and the plants come along. Sometimes I need the 4 wheel drive, but not always.

There might be some better suggestions to follow this one, but what I've described has been the answer plenty of times and I've even had good luck replanting quite a few of these plants.

Best of luck.

http://bloodsweatandpigsears.blogspot.com/

Soaking will help soften the ground whether you want to save the plant or not.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the advice. Sadly, since I don't have a vehicle with a towing hitch, that's out for now anyway. I'll try softening up the soil and see if that helps....but since we don't want to replant anything for the time being, I'm thinking that I'm going to chop up the whole structure and cover it back up with dirt and let it rot on it's own.

If you're going to do that, just cut them off at the ground and leave them be. Continue to prune any sprouts that may form.

If you dig them out, you can knock the dirt out of the root ball back into the holes and not really have any holes left to speak of.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The easiest way to remove large shrubs is to list them for free on craigs list. Large bushes are valuable and hard to find. Landscapers will dig them up for free in exchange for the shrubs. Make sure they won't damage your house or underground lines by calling the free nationwide underground line locating service. Well its not really free, you pay for it in your utility bills.

I appreciate all the advice! I finally got a few of them completely removed. A small saw, a hand axe, shovel, elbow grease and a lot of patience did the trick. Maybe next time, however, I'll have the professionals take care of it! Oh well, the most important thing is that I learned a few things, tackled a project by myself, and most importantly, I didn't throw my back out.