+ Reply to Thread

Default stone foundation built in 1902

I have a 2 story house in NW Ohio. The bottom 5 ft of the foundation below ground are old stones (built in 1902) and the top 2 ft above ground is brick. The foundation is starting to leak. I was going to put new mortar in where it is gone but I don't know whether to use Portland cement - Quikrete which is considered a "hard" cement or a "soft" (more lime) cement. I am presently going to fix the inside and see if that solves the problem. If I need to use "soft" cement, I need help finding where to purchase this. Is there anything else I need to know to fix the stone?

Default Re: stone foundation built in 1902

You need a "Hydraulic Cement" which is different than 'sackrete' or mortar. Tom just did this very job on a recent "Ask TOH" episode- don't you watch TV? (just kidding)

Phil

Thank you for the information on using hydraulic cement. I actually did watch that show but I wasn't sure if I could use this on an old stone foundation. I will give this a try.

Ann

Ann,

Check out a few YouTube videos on 'parging' or 're-pointing' a stone wall. One of many tricks is to get the stones clean enough to bond to the new ceement without the stones falling out of the wall or having the wall collapse or the house move. Working in sections helps. Be sure to do a lot of homework before embarking on this project.

If the orginal mortar was lime based do not use a portland cement based material as this will cause failure of the lime material.
    Check this web site:
    www.historic-ccotland.gov.uk
    Look at Foundation and Stone wall footings.
    Exterior Masonry Steps.
    Repointing Rubble Stonework.
    I have used Historic Scotland info for many years with very good results.