+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky window

Default Leaky window

I have a leaky 1st floor window in my house. The water (rain water) comes in through the 2nd floor window, infiltrates the wall, and streams into the 1st floor window area through the top window sill. The outside wall is clad in stucco, so the water is somehow getting in around the 2nd floor window (at the bottom of the window frame). I confirmed the leak by spraying water directly at the 2nd floor window, then watching it stream into the 1st floor inside window frame area. Any ideas what is causing it?

Default Re: Leaky window

An opening where it shouldn't be? Not to be facetious but you answered your own question- the next step is to find the unwanted opening and repair it. The what and where of it will determine the repair so until we have that information we can't be of much help to you. Have a closer look and post again with what you find!

Phil

phils right, first check all the caulking around the window then the cap flashing,, if its damaged, if its actually present..

if you cant see anything there your going to have to remove siding to see whats underneath
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I applied a silicone sealer at the window frame/stucco interface, and sealed up each corner of the fixed window panel where the rubber seal was missing at the double-pane (about one inch at each corner). After curing, I hit it with the hose today and was surprised that they were no leaks. This was the same test that resulted in the original leak, so I guess its fixed.

sounds like the weather stripping was bad then, good to hear its fixed. just a word of advise, keep an eye on it when you get a heavy rainstorm with really strong wind.. strong wind can blow the rain in through small cracks
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Smile Re: Leaky window

...also depending on how long the leak was there your might have some mold forming. Always good to double check for that.