+ Reply to Thread

Default Stone foundation outside house, need advice on maintaining

My house was built around 1896 and the foundation is stone.

This is my first post and I can't post a picture, so I'll try to provide a URL to it, you may have to copy and paste it into your web browser: farm4.staticflickr.com/3334/3568517040_f2dcc4350c_z.jpg

There is moisture build up in the basement, mostly on the side where the exterior of the foundation is exposed most (the siding stops about 16 inches from the base of the driveway), leaving some of the foundation showing. There is no gutters, there once were, but they were removed before I bought the house.

I have a dehumidifier that keeps the basement dry (it does not get too moist down there), but I want some advice on what I could do to maintain the exterior and interior of the foundation walls.

I should get gutters installed, also, drainage? Money is a problem, but multiple options will be helpful.

Also, bits and pieces of the stone/mortar have chipped off the exterior of the foundation, is there any special solution you would recommend and how would I apply that?

Thinking about "what if my foundation caves in", keeps me awake at night. It doesn't get too moist, but in the long run, I want to feel assured.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Default Re: Stone foundation outside house, need advice on maintaining

bkmorse- The gutters/drainage solutions you mentioned are a good start. You want to do what you can to keep that water on your drive moving away from your house. (Something you're clearly mindful of already).

Here's a masonry link that discusses repointing. Sounds like you may be due for some of this 'common maintenance.'
    http://www.mac******.org/tech/mainte...t1/point1.html

Regarding your sleeplessness: It might be time to get some professional eyes over there to take a look at your foundation and if you do, I'd recommend you get more than one or two opinions. If I were you, I'd work the phone hard to get four or five. These visits will likely come with estimates, but that doesn't mean you have to hire anyone and knowing the specifics of what it may cost will be good to know regardless. Keep in mind that not everyone who gives your foundation a review will give you the same exact advice, but if you put it all together it will help you know what you're dealing with. (If you live in a rural area or are off the beaten path, you may have to settle for three.) And, you should be able to get some expert evaluations without writing a check.

Hope this helps.

Blood, Sweat, and Pig's Ears

Default Re: Stone foundation outside house, need advice on maintaining

I would say that there is a salt problem with in the soil and the Masonry.
    Salts will cause the delamination between the CMU and the cement coating.
    It will take many years to show up could be 20 to as long as 40 years depending on the amount of water or moisture present.
    Research this info: Salt-Related problems in Brick & Masonry.