+ Reply to Thread

Default gurguling toilet/slow draining shower

my husband and I just bought an older, 1970's, home and for the past week have been unable to use our master bathroom. The problem is when you get in the shower the toilet starts to gurgle and then the shower stops draining. We're at the point now where we don't use the bathroom at all. The toilet doesn't flush and the shower won't drain. My husband thinks it might be a venting problem. Does anyone have any suggestions

Default Re: gurguling toilet/slow draining shower

It sounds like you have a stoppage in the main line for that bathroom. Do you have any access the drain lines for that bathroom? If not you may have to pull the toilet to snake the line.

John

Yes we do have access to the lines for this bathroom. Thanks for the help, I will pass it on to my husband.

Sometimes you can use a garden hose to punch through an obstruction in the drain lines instead of having to hire a plumber.

You can certainly have your husband try the garden hose first, but don't be surprised if he gets nowhere.

For instance, I don't think that pushing a ball of hair further down the drain is a good idea. A snake will pull it right out from where it came in from.

I guess I wasted a lot of money buying sewer machines when all I needed was a garden hose.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    I guess I wasted a lot of money buying sewer machines when all I needed was a garden hose.

John
    Live and learn ...

Actually, I've used the hose trick down the vent stack on a few occasions with success, though augering or water jetting is more preferred.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Having the same problem, snaked all the drains and the vent pipe as far as I could get, had the drain roto rootered. They got out 90 ft, didn't hit a thing until that far out and hit something they couldn't get past, we deemed it was the cast iron curve going down to the main. Did all this to no success, the house has one bathroom which has been added on, so the basement was not extended with the house. Long story short there are NO exposed drain pipes or cleanouts anywhere. To roto they had to take the toilet off. I'm pretty much stuck. If I have to spend $10,000 trying to fix, I may just live with it. I just with I could figure it out, just started happening about a month or so ago.

Have them locate the spot they can't get past and dig it up to make the repair. That's the difference between a company with rooter in there name and a plumber. A good plumber would not have walked away from the job without solving your problem.

John

Number 1: It will not cost you 10 grand to replace the clogged area, as john indicated. But, it's deep and requires a lot of digging.

Number 2: Fortunately, there are plenty of willing and able plumbers who will be more thatn happy to help you. Just make sure he digs according to local codes.