+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vermiculite Insulation, too late, already disturbed...Concerns???

I wouldn't waste money removing it, unless you need to do major rennovations. IF it's left undisturbed, it's not hurting anybody. IT's only dangersou when disturbe an inhaled. This is isn't a plile of plutonim that radiates hazardous energy and it's not black mold that releasing toxic spores.

Just leave it alone and go about living your life. I have asbos insulation on hundreds of feet of abandoned hot water pipes in my house. It's not comming apart or falling down.

In summary... let sleeping dogs lie. IF you drive past a low incom ethnic neighborhood, ou don't roll down the window and yell ethnic slurs, then call the cops for being harassed do you?

Don't mess with it and it won't mess with you. Remediation actually is likely to expose you to more risk than doing nothing.

You wore a mask, so your exposure was minimized. IF you hadn't your exposure would still have been very small.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

We are encountering the same problem with undetected vermiculite at our house. We just had two air samples taken after its presence was detected on visual inspection. (We had an energy audit done that may have stirred things up, a ceiling fan installed - complete with hole drilled above daughters bed a few years ago, and, just today, the inspector also found a pile of vermiculite in an eave that we frequently store items in, also in a child's bedroom). We have the same concerns regarding resale, recourse against inspector or previous owners, etc., and of course exposure - especially to our little children. Since the vermiculite is also traveling down from the attic, it's possible it was also used in the walls or is there now after gravity brought it down, which may may a kitchen remodel even more tricky. At this point, we know installing central AC is out since we will probably leave it undisturbed for now.

So, my question to you is, what did you do; abate it? How do you feel today about the exposure or have you learned anything about limited exposure? From other posts, it seems like you are doing work on the house; did you have to do anything special due to the vermiculite? Did you take legal recourse against the inspector or the previous home owners with any results? Lots of questions. We are still in the freaking out stage.

Thanks!

1% is 10000 ppm not 1000

If it is the "Libby" stuff, you'll need to call an asbestos abatement company in to remove it- the law precludes DIY here. If it isn't "Libby" then you can remove it however you wish but I'd take all the same precautions doing that which asbestos abatement firms use. I'd also want a bare unoccupied house during that process to remove the chance of inadvertent dust exposure.

Vermiculite is a silicosis risk as well as an asbestos risk and your lungs are the most vulnerable body organ to this risk. With proper care you can DIY removal so long as you understand what you're dealing with and the correct way of doing it.

Phil

First, what is the age of your vermiculite. They didn't begin using the mine which produced vermiculite with asbestos until 1922. I had some in my 1773 house, unfortunately while crawling around in the attic I found an old Zonolite bag, that is the bad stuff. There is supposed to be a mega millions fund established to pay for removal, nit sure of the current status of that.