+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot Water in Bathroom

We got new furnace installed for heating in Fall of 2009. Everything is fine except we do not get that much hot water in upstairs bathroom. The furnace is in the basement. The kitchen faucet on the first floor gets really nice hot water but not the bathroom on the second floor.

It takes almost 5 mins. to get the hot water in the bathroom and after that it keeps getting hot to cold, back and forth. We live in New England so Winters are very cold. It takes a lot of courage to get in the shower!

We did not have this problem with the old furnace. I know there is dial on the furnace to make the water hot/cold. We tried that but that did not help much. Actually, that made kitchen water very hot. All of us take shower at different times so this is not the case of hot water used up by the first person who took shower.

I really need some help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Hot Water in Bathroom

What type of hot water system do you have? Is it tank less or do you have a indirect hot water system?

John

It is a tankless system, meaning there is no tank to store hot water.

Yes, I re-read your past posts in regards to your problems with an upstairs radiator, and now inadequate hot water in the upstairs bathroom shower; congrats on purchasing a new boiler (you have a boiler, not a furnace), and I wonder if you've had the installer or other heating tech over the house to see if anything can be done to address the problem with the hot water for the shower.

It's unfortunate that you bought a new boiler that comes with what's known as a "tankless coil" built inside of it (the tankless coil is responsible for producing the hot water supply for the shower, hot tap water, dishwasher, etc.; and is known as the "domestic hot water" supply (DHW); the way it works is that a 10' copper coil inside the boiler (which holds only a gallon of hot water) extracts heat from the boiler water & delivers it to the shower & HW taps; it only takes a few minutes for this small amount of HW to go thru the shower head (especially as it mixes with the standing cold water in the connected piping to the shower); this is a well-known shortcoming of these "tankless coils" & many heating industry professionals have been after the boiler mfgrs for years to include a written advisory on the sale of these boilers warning consumers of the DHW shortcoming.

The only sensible remedy for this situation is to bite the bullet & have what's known as a 40 gallon INDIRECT HOT WATER HEATER installed (usually approx $2k, installed); this is simply a companion 40 gal tank heat exchanger that stores all the DHW you'll need to assure that several showers can be taken simultaneously without running out of HW; these units have no moving parts or combustion/flue elements and thus last for many years without any need for service.

Suggested indirects by Triangle Tube, HTP Super Stor, Weil McLain G0ld, TFI Everhot or Lochinvar Squire are recommended.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 04-02-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we had an issue with couple of radiators this last Fall. After spending $900 it is fixed now. The issue was that water from condensation was building up in the steam pipe instead of going back to the boiler. When we had the basement fixed in 2006, the contractor pushed the steam pipe up with a hanger to level the ceiling of the basement. So, slowly water started to build up and eventually past Fall radiators stopped working. We had to get another contractor to break the ceiling, pulled down the pipe and put back the ceiling in away so if we had this issue again we do not need to open the ceiling again

I will ask my oil company to come and see what they think about the shower water. They are the one who installed the boiler.

Now, come to think about it I have a question for hot water that is being used in the Washer. When I set the washer to 'hot' to wash cloths the water is barely warm. I asked the service man who came to service the boiler and he said that it is up to the washer. When the washer was originally installed they set it up like that. Is that true? The washer and dryer came with the house so not sure how it was set up.

Going back to my shower water issue, I am not sure where I am going to come up with $2k but it is good to know what my options are. Do these tanks work with any kind of boilers?

Thank you.

I truly appreciate your reply

Mountainview:

You're beginning to confuse me with your talk in your 2nd post about "fixing a problem STEAM radiator" so it will heat better, and a lack of hot tap water for your showers and clothes washer-----do you have a steam heat system or a hot water system??????

A hot water boiler system is quite different from a usually older steam heat system; but, in point of fact, either a steam or HW system can use any one of the INDIRECT HOT WATER HEATERS mentioned in my previous post; and yes, I can strongly recommend you check out the installation of one of these 40 gallon INDIRECTS as a solution to your domestic hot water problems----the $2k up-front installation cost seems a little steep at first, but consider that these units have a track record of lasting for decades without any service problems, and providing unlimited HW for showering, clothes washing, dishwashing, etc., so you won't be sorry you made this excellent choice; I consider it a real tragedy when someone has purchased a hot water boiler (or even steam) and has neglected to go to the next needed step and install a 40 GAL INDIRECT HOT WATER HEATER.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 04-04-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you. You told me that you read my old post about the radiator issue so I was just updating you on that situation.

We have steam heat system (uses oil) to heat our house and water. In 2009 we had Peerless boiler installed. Each room in our house has a radiator/radiators. Last Fall we had an issue with one steam pipe which effected two radiators. That problem has been fixed since then.

Now, I am concern about the hot water used in the shower. We moved in the house in 2005 and used the old boiler till 2009, till it died. We did not have this issue then so we did not even think about the tank. The shower water was great. We started to notice the issue last year or so. Only thing I could think to blame is the new boiler. Nothing else has been changed. I wonder if different boilers have different capacity or something…We had Burnham boiler and now we have Peerless.

I understand your point and it makes sense to get the tank installed. I would look in to it. Thanks again for you advise.