+ Reply to Thread

Question Balcony / Raised Deck Size

Can anyone recommend an adequate/proportionate depth measure for a balcony? Is there a typical size?

We are looking to have a balcony built off one of the bedrooms on the second level of our home. We would like to have room for a small sitting/lounging area and a small bistro table to enjoy a coffee in the morning or watch a sunset in the evening. The planned width will be between 12-16 feet.

Thanks

Default Re: Balcony / Raised Deck Size

A balcony needs support, so the size of your intended balcony is a function of its support. Contacting builders or contractors in your area is your starting point. Permit will be needed.

Question Re: Balcony / Raised Deck Size

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    A balcony needs support, so the size of your intended balcony is a function of its support. Contacting builders or contractors in your area is your starting point. Permit will be needed.
    Balcony will hang on ledger & outer corners supported by composite structural columns resting on poured pier footings. Aware of required permit. Would just like to know what typical dimensions would/should be based on others past build experience. Thanks

For a bigger balcony, like the one you are planning, you'll need a contractor or an architect to draw simple plans to take to your plan checker.

14' to 16' wide by 10' deep for instance will be a nice size and an architect can calculate and determine your framing requirements for you to meet your local codes.

"Typical" is whatever suits your needs. What I would recommend is that you lay out what you are envisioning on the patio or against the side of the house. Set the furniture in place and see how you like the look/feel of the size.

I've seen balconies as narrow as about 4', which is barely room enough for a chair, let alone a small table. 6' deep will give you enough room for chairs and a small table. 8' to 10' will give you room for a chaise lounge or larger, more comfortable furniture in which to enjoy those sunsets from.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    "Typical" is whatever suits your needs. What I would recommend is that you lay out what you are envisioning on the patio or against the side of the house. Set the furniture in place and see how you like the look/feel of the size.

I've seen balconies as narrow as about 4', which is barely room enough for a chair, let alone a small table. 6' deep will give you enough room for chairs and a small table. 8' to 10' will give you room for a chaise lounge or larger, more comfortable furniture in which to enjoy those sunsets from.
    Thanks! That's a reply that is more along the lines I was looking for. I didn't want to start dragging out patio furniture, etc. and physically create the layout. I might just end up having to do that though to be on the safe side. I thought that there might be few contractors and deck builders out there that frequently did this type of project and could readily suggest...

Make sure you have enough room to walk around and get past folks sitting in other chairs. Then make the deck 2 feet bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by erlee View Post
    Thanks! That's a reply that is more along the lines I was looking for. I didn't want to start dragging out patio furniture, etc. and physically create the layout. I might just end up having to do that though to be on the safe side. I thought that there might be few contractors and deck builders out there that frequently did this type of project and could readily suggest...
    You're welcome.

Not too many people have the ability to visualize space very well, hence the recommendation of laying out the type of furniture you'd like to have on your proposed balcony. By using this "direct method" approach, there will be no question as to how big you need the deck/balcony to be for what you want/need. Another way to do it would be to lay a sheet of plywood on the floor and set a chair or two on it.

Yes, there are many of us who are familiar with building decks and balconies, but as I said in my original post, there is nothing "typical" about typical. Every project has its unique quirks and challenges.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Make sure you have enough room to walk around and get past folks sitting in other chairs. Then make the deck 2 feet bigger.
    Good point. Will take into account the couple of extra feet needed to maneuver around. Thanks.

Another issue to consider is that this balcony will be built above an existing deck that is 16' wide x 10' deep; hence the reason for the width of balcony & distance between columns. Wanted to also maintain a balance of sun & shade areas for the lower deck; may just end up having to extend the lower deck a bit...