+ Reply to Thread

Default Covering up hideous wall tiles?

We just purchase a beautiful old house that was renovated shall we say tastelessly? Anyway the kitchen has tile going up 8 feet in height on the main walls and backsplash that appears to be 80's neon green markings with a white back. I think we may have bought it mid reno as the counters are a beautiful sand colored granite that clashes with the tile. I am not really enthuses about removing the tile as it is adhered to plaster walls and oh the mess it will cause. Can I cover over it with wainscoating panels and crown molding? Any other ideas? I am going for a very traditional kitchen with ornate crown moldings etc

Default Re: Covering up hideous wall tiles?

I prefer to remove the old before applying the new, even if it includes the drywall. The mess should not scare you. This way, the wall will look professional.

consider hideous wall paper lol
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Covering crap with more crap ends in crap and will just be even more crap that has to be cleaned up later.

Doing a job right the first time ends with the best possible finished results. Remove the tile, repair the walls, upgrade kitchen to your heart's content.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think first you should remove existing tiles and then apply new tiles of your choice.