+ Reply to Thread

Default installing a solid sheet metal backsplash

I recently saw a metal backsplash - solid sheet not tiles. I really liked the look. I need help with the how to. Which metal is best to use? What gauge should be used? Can it be installed over an existing tile backsplash? Is it difficult to work with? As it is metal will there be any problems with the outlets & water? The area I will be covering is about 9' x 8'. What could I expect to pay if I brought someone in to do the work?

Thanks!

Default Re: installing a solid sheet metal backsplash

Whatever you use, you'll want to use a non-ferrous metal (brass, bronze, copper, ... ) or high grade stainless steel.

I would say you could use construction adhesive over the existing tile backsplash, as long as it is in very good condition. Cutting around outlets/switches shouldn't be too much of a problem, depending on what material you are using.

Hiring it done, you'd need a sheetmetal shop (HVAC contractor ) that specializes in architectural metals, they will have the materials, tools, and ability to do what you're asking. Price will depend on material and local labor market.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you Mr. Spruce

Spruce is right on, and let me just add this:

The commercial/restaurant look is gaining in popularity, and is also very practical. Before calling any contractors, visit some sites with all the choices available, so you have some basic idea about materials and prices.

9'x8' is rather a large area to cover, and since the flat metals are so thin (they come in various thicknesses/gauges), a proper instalation is critical, to get it flat on the wall.

Insist on getting references, then go and see them, if possible.

I should have finished my thought about non-ferrous metal. The reason to use it is that it won't rust, though it will corrode or acquire a patina that you may or may not like. Copper takes on a green patina, not sure what the other common metals do. You can keep them shiny, but be prepared for plenty of elbow grease and polishing to keep them looking showroom new.

Stainless steel will require the least amount of maintenance. Choosing a good grade is important because cheap grades will rust. Food or medical grade would be least likely to have problems.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Go to a sheet metal shop with experience in this type of installation. The cuts must be exact. Any flaws will show. High grade stainless steel with a 'non directional' grain will wear the best.