+ Reply to Thread

Default wood floors buckling after kitchen addition

I had a kitchen addition 2 years ago. The new addition and the old kitchen floors were prepped with hardiboard and tile. In the original part of the house, adjoining the old kitchen (now butlers pantry), the hardwood floors are buckling. Could this be happening because the architect or contractor did not allow room for expansion with the new addition? Can anything be done to allow the floors to return to normal?

Default Re: wood floors buckling after kitchen addition

its possible they didnt allow for expansion. typically hardwood is given roughly 1/4"-1/2" space where it meets walls so it can expand without any resistance. the other possibility is that water is getting in the house and causing it to buckle, are there any stains on the hardwood or discoloration?
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You provided insufficient information, but my guess is there's not enough room for expansion. Remove baseboards and other moldings which may cover areas where the new meets the old and check the gaps. Also check for wetness, it's possible, like jkirk suggested.

Howdy the home may be showing some movement that is transferred to the flooring. Any chance of a water leak causing the flooring issues? How was the new to old foundations attached were the new floor joists kiln dried wood. If 2by 10 ,8,12s green wood dries out over about a years time -shrinks and cause flooring deflection,. Hopefully the floor is made with enginered floor joists or floor truss? lots of potential causes without more information can only convey you to have flooring people out for their ideas. Builder out to see whats wrong maybe a structural enginer to see if foundation issue. Rule out leaking pipes as the water can run between flooring materials.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 04-01-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    its possible they didnt allow for expansion. typically hardwood is given roughly 1/4"-1/2" space where it meets walls so it can expand without any resistance. the other possibility is that water is getting in the house and causing it to buckle, are there any stains on the hardwood or discoloration?
    No stains or discolorations. Just progressing lifting of the planks. I started feeling it bowing under my bare feet 4 months ago. There are ongoing groundwater issues under the house making the soil moist all year round, but no pooling. Its been this way at least 6 years without any change to the hardwood floors, until the addition. Its a 1917 kit house with 3' crawlspace and partial cellar. All plumbing has been updated and is without leaks. I will follow the advice and have a structural engineer assess the problem, because my contractor is not taking any responsiblity at this point. I am grateful for any further advice.

Howdy. Hope you have plastic on the dirt in the crawl space to keep the moisture out of the house. If not consider installing 6 mill and caulking it to the foundation walls to keep the moisture in the soil and out of the house. Might have a wood flooring company out to look and tell you what they suggest- as these people see a lot of problems.

Structural enginer ask for a verbal report at the inspection before you pay the $$$ for a written report - just to save you some $ .
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.