+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting stucco

Question Painting stucco

I have a ca.1942 home with stucco exterior.I am planning on repainting within the next couple of months.The stucco has an infinite number of hairline cracks that I wish to cover up.I recall seeing a product on TOH called an elastomeric coating that they applied before painting to isolate the cracks from the new paint.Does anyone have any info. on that product and what other tips can you give as far as prep. work?I was also thinking of using an epoxy paint which is supposed to bond better and have better durability.Is that the case or am I wasting my money?

Thanks for your information!!!!

Default Re: Painting stucco

Deetster,

"Elastomeric wall coatings are designed for exterior masonry surfaces like concrete, stucco and concrete block. They are generally acrylic latex masonry paints designed to be applied in very thick films (about 10 times as thick as regular paints); they are tough and flexible, and stretch as cracks underneath open and close, thus bridging the cracks and keeping wind driven rain out while maintaining a nice appearance. These coatings are called EWCs for short. They can be tinted to a light color. The EWC should be applied after cracks more than 1/16" are caulked with a quality acrylic or siliconized (not SILICONE) caulk. (If the stucco is particularly porous, a masonry primer or paintable sealer should be applied first.) Applications of the EWC is usually at about 50 - 60 square feet/gallon, and two coats should be applied." - This is from The Paint Quality Institute. Most of the major manufacturers have versions of this. Behr and Valspar do.

I am not familiar with an epoxy paint for this application, but I would be leery of using an epoxy. Epoxies are very dense polymers which are moisture/vapor impervious. You definitely do not want an absolute moisture barrier on the outside of your house trapping vapors from the interior of the house in the exterior walls. Acrylics generally allow the wall to breathe. This is one of the advantages they have over oil paints which are much less so.

A website that I find usefull for such questions is:http://www.paintquality.com/contract...ontNL0107.html