+ Reply to Thread

Question Brick fence post knowledge help

I am building brick fence posts for a privacy fence of 340' long and 6' high. Not being a mason or familiar with masonry at all I have many questions. I have been reading on how to build them and I was wondering if it is better to build the posts completely out of brick with the center filled with mortar like I have been reading or if it would be better/possible to sink a 4x4 post then brick around the post? I know if I build completely out of brick I need to make footers. **Twice the dimension of posts and 8"-12" thick. Also, what dimension of post should be used for this purpose? I am unsure how to attach the stringing 2x4s between the posts to the brick. I plan on doing shadow box pickets.

Default Re: Brick fence post knowledge help

With no masonry experience, you are trying to chew on a big bone. My advice is to get a mason to do it and here's why:

1. If you install a post every 8', you'll have some 43 posts to install. Quite a job.

2. Depending on the grade, you'll have to deal with various elevations. And since the posts go in first, it's not an easy job for a 1st time mason.

3. Footings are needed and so are rebars. Do you know how to use them?

If you want to practice building brick fences, start with a small job, like a planter. A 340' long fence will become your white elephant without prior knowledge.

I agree with DJ1. 43 posts is big task for a non-mason.

Here's an link to an example of a shadow box picket fence with masonry columns.
    http://www.dgfenceanddeck.zoomshare....9665580/:album

Here's a link showing fencing with masonry posts spaced further than 8' apart.
    http://intricatedesignandfabrication...-screen-fence/

One additional (and hopefully useful) comment would to be sure you don't brick the rails into the posts as you may one day need to replace them. Use inset treated wood plates or the same attached to the piers from the outside. When a section rots or gets damaged, yoi can repair it without disturbing the brick. If you don't you might be calling the brick mason back to rebuild perfectly good posts!

Phil