+ Reply to Thread

Default Cement Porch Floor Repair

I extended my cement floor front porch to the full width of my house by having a contractor add to an existing porch. However, the new part of the porch appears to be sinking (settling too much). The porch floor has settled so that the old and new porch floor sections are uneven. This leads to water settling next to the house when it rains, there is danger of someone tripping as they walk from one end of the porch to the other and the floor looks unsightly. I have tried to add concrete adhesive to build up the newer section of the porch, but it simply chips and breaks up after awhile. Will I have to replace the entire cement floor? Should I add a layer of outdoor porcelain tile or natural stone to even out the floor? Or is there another solution?
    Last edited by colonial; 03-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Default Re: Cement Porch Floor Repair

Colonial,

Over the years I've been on more than one project where I heard a gray-haired sage on site remind the younger workers that 'if you don't get the foundation right, you'll be fighting the building the whole way.' Your issue makes me speculate that one or more essential steps were forgotten or overlooked before your concrete porch was placed and with that I'm inclined to think you're going to have to tear out what you have and have it redone better/more extensively.

Blood, Sweat, and Pig's Ears

Your addition slab has sunk because of poor preparation and poor foundation. Don't you think that it will sink even faster if you add weight on top of it?

I'm also afraid that if you want to solve your problem, you'll have to rip the sinking slab and start from scratch, this time making sure it's prepared and poured right.

One possible solution is 'mudjacking', but get some bids on a demo/re-do as well. Whoever poured the slab didn't compact the earth underneath it or ensure that water wasn't going to affect it so it has settled; that is why the slab sunk.

In general terms, prepping for something like this you will 1- compact existing soil and determine water drainage. 2- Correct drainage issues, possibly adding a gravel base. 3- Compacting again. 4- Add soil or gravel in no more than 6" lifts. 5- Compact each lift. 6- cover soil with plastic before pouring concrete.

As you can see there's time and effort involved here which is why it's usually under-done. Far easier to just dump in all the soil at once, or to pour over what's there without thinking, knowing it will last a couple years so you won't be held liable for the faulty work. So sad that there are people out there who take shortcuts, but that's par for this business. Those people make me look good and keep me busy but I could still do without them!

Phil