+ Reply to Thread

Smile Basement Help! Life is never by the book!

I'm renovating my basement that was recently flooded. I have a couple issues I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

Issue #1: I removed flooded carpet/padding. Underneath, I found a wood subfloor in 3 rooms, connected with a hallway that has not wood subfloor, but tiles containing asbestos. Both wood subfloor and tiles are flush with each other. Can't remove the tiles, but want a finished wood flooring. Should I lay another subfloor overtop of both (tile/wood) or leave as is and simply place wood flooring overtop?

Issue #2: I removed the sheetrock wall and found framing was made with several types of sized woods...furring strips, 2x4, etc. I decided to remove all of the frame and start over from scratch. The ceiling is intact, but do I need to cut back ceiling sheetrock closest to basement walls to expose ceiling joists, so when I put up the framed wall to fit snug with the ceiling joists or can I just place frame up against the ceiling sheetrock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated with much needed detail.

thanks.

Basement books you'd recommend? Illustrated step by step guide?

Default Re: Basement Help! Life is never by the book!

Iss. #1 - The first thing I'd be concerned with is lingering moisture from the flood getting covered up and trapped when you put the next layer on top if it.

If it was me, I'd pop those tiles out of there because that's an issue that will likely come up down the road and it will be harder to deal with when covered. If someone asks you if you have any asbestos in the house, you're going to want to be able to answer 'no.'

Iss. #2 - I'd recommend that you cut back the drywall and attach your new framing to the old. However, I've done it the other way before and in the end it was not an issue.

Blood, Sweat, and Pig's Ears