+ Reply to Thread

Default Foundation Parging

The parging on my foundation has begun flaking off in large chunks, taking some of the underlying cinder block with it. Patches do not hold, even with additives that are supposed to enhance adhesion. Foundation was good for about 38 years, but has begun flaking over the last four years.

Default Re: Foundation Parging

Sounds to be an issue created by water problems, likely ponding or splashing up against the foundation. If you also live in an area of freezing temperatures this moisture that's absorbed by the parge will freeze and expand breaking any bond and fall off.
    Solving any grade issues preventing the ponding of water or correcting splashing ( perhaps from faulty or leaky gutters ) go a long way to prevent this from continuing.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Unhappy Re: Foundation Parging

Thanks for the reply, but there is no ponding and no splashing where most of the peeling appears. One section is right next to a downspout, but I have checked the area during periods of heavy rain and the area is dry.
    I have a basement drainage system and sump pumps installed, so the cinder blocks should drain if they get wet. But I have a two foot overhang all around the house and sloping away from all areas of the foundation.
    I am really scratching my head as to the cause of this.

To me it still sounds like a moisture issue.

Even though you have an interior drain with a sump pump your block walls are still getting wet. The water has to flow though the blocks from the exterior in order to get to the interior drain.
    Concrete blocks will wick water and tend to dry at the point above grade. In which case the parging you are likely using is of low pourosity and not allowing the drying of the blocks behind. Therefore, the moisture is actually form behind and would cause the parge to block bond fail.

You may have to either remove the parging altogether and allow the blocks to dry or to use a more pourious parge material.

2 Cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

sounds like the cinder block is failing as opposed to the parging..please post pics ..is it cinder block or concrete block?

http://westchester-architects.com

It is a cinder block foundation.

I think use of poruous material would be a better fix to the problem