+ Reply to Thread

Default help with terminology - queen anne window detail

I'm looking for web images so I can design/proportion a sun awning for our south facing windows on our queen anne victorian home. I suspect these may be an east lake or stick style feature, but still need the right term for my search. What do you call the wooden awning built above a window that is integrated into the architecture. They're never very large, but provide shade at the middle of the day. Thanks.

Default Re: help with terminology - queen anne window detail

Do you mean Portico?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks...nope, not a portico...something much smaller, just over a window. I found a couple of from-a-distance images, attached. On the lighter home, the one "_ _ _ _ _" is on the right side of the house and is an extension of the second story overhang. Any thoughts on the name of this feature?

The upload feature isn't working properly. You can find the images at:

users.rcn.com/scndempr/dave/porttownsend/pt02.jpg
    trulia.com/property/photos/3059740716-937-Victoria-Dr-Dunedin-FL-34698#item-0

Google images:

exterior window headers
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A "pent roof" is one of small overhang. Or maybe just "wooden awning" or "slatted window hood".
    "Slatted pent-roof window hood" sounds pretty good. If it were to be supported by ornate brackets, best to describe them with appropriate terminology,too. "Jigsawed, pierced brackets"; "Timber brackets with turned details" or if simple "timberwork brackets"
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks Casey. In the passing hours, I've also found the term "window hood" which has yielded closer results. Your additional terms may help me hone in on it. Thanks a lot.