+ Reply to Thread

Default Repair ceiling fan

Concord ceiling fan - suddenly would not turn on. No sound. Sprayed WD40 into center above fan, went around but haltingly and sounds like it has rocks in it. Suggestions, please. Thank you.

Default Re: Repair ceiling fan

First thing I'd do is disconnect the electrical connections.

Second thing I'd do is replace the fan.

If it sounds like its full of rocks, then the bearings are probably shot. Ceiling fans are not worth repairing, just replace it and be done with it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for advice. Just have this overwhelming urge to try to fix things instead of replace. ==:-)
    Have repaired our bread machine a number of times. Likely you are correct but doesn't hurt to check! Aside: - bunnies are great HOUSE pets but for Easter CHOCOLATE is best.

[QUOTE=Colorado;261416]Thanks for advice. Just have this overwhelming urge to try to fix things instead of replace. ==:-)
    Have repaired our bread machine a number of times. Likely you are correct but doesn't hurt to check! Aside: - bunnies are great HOUSE pets but for Easter CHOCOLATE is best.

Because I had nothing better to do, on a few occasions I have tried to open up a ceiling fan to clean and lubricate the bearings. They don't come apart easily, in fact you're more than likely going to break something before it comes apart. Also by design, once apart, you won't likely get it back together because there are spring loaded parts inside that you won't be able to compress for assembly.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

When the motor goes, it's time to get a new fan. Sure you can find a replacement motor for your particular fan, but with price of new fans being so low in general, it's simpler to get a new one.

Wink Re: Repair ceiling fan

Concord ceiling fans are basically builders grade fans, some last a few years, some a little more, some don't make it a year. I have always used midrange hunter fans, if I get a call back to replace the fan it is usally well over 5 yeras old, everytime I install a cheapo store model fan I get a call back witin 2 years that it is either vibrating the light bulbs out of it or it sounds like the space shuttle is taking off from there ceiling, I have them pick out a hunter fan and they are amzed how quiet they are and vibration free right out of the box! Good Luck!

Replace with a good fan- the cheap ones vibrate and fail quickly. Pay for quality and not appearances alone; they make cheap and pretty fans that are no better than the bottom-grade models they are based on.

Phil

Thank you for fan comments. I have investigated further (took fan down) and it is a model AC552DD which may be a Hamilton Bay (1991 mfg date). It is very heavy, not a cheap contractor fan and was $2-300 when I bought it. The "clutch" (?) that holds the fan blades up failed. It is a round hard rubber/plastic disc. Does anyone have suggestion where to look for parts? Otherwise feel it would go another 15-20 years. Thank you.

You're not going to find replacement parts for a 20 year old fan. Maybe the motor itself, but not the hub assembly. Like most modern things, it's disposable. Now if this was a $3000 custom made fan, you might have the fabricated by a machine shop $500-1000 dollars. But $200-300 is still a cheap fan. DIme a dozen at a big box store. Sorry.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical