+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall around baseboard heat.

Hi,

My house is on a slab and has hot water baseboard heat. I want to build a dividing wall/entrance way between my kitchen and living room. Along 1 wall is a 19' run of hot water baseboard heat. Can I build the wall around that or cut the fins? Or is there another/better way to complete this? I read somewhere on this board about putting some type of pink insulation around the area to be covered.

I am going to replace the baseboard heat covers anyway - so that part is not an issue.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by geojf3; 03-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Default Re: Wall around baseboard heat.

I would say depends on how you plan to frame the intersecting wall and the type of finish you expect.
    If you plan on cutting open the wall to flush mount the corner stud then you might be able to get away with simply removing fins and let the tubing continue through.

Of coruse there will be some need to cut away some of the housing from the wall mount portion of the chassis. Then it becomes a matter of how to properly fit the drywall around the tubing that's inplace and finishing so it looks good.

Otherwise, cut out a section of the baseboard and cap off, build out the wall , drill a hole for the tubing and connect the two sections together.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for your reply...but I am not following some of what you are saying.

When you mention tubing - are you referring to the pipe that carries the hot water?

I am not sure what you mean when you wrote "chassis" either.

Also, I do not plan to open up any existing wall. The frame for the divider/separator/entrance way will be going on top of the existing sheet rock.

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by geojf3 View Post
    Thanks for your reply...but I am not following some of what you are saying.

When you mention tubing - are you referring to the pipe that carries the hot water?
    Yes

I am not sure what you mean when you wrote "chassis" either.
    I was referring to the assembly that mounts to the wall and houses the tubing and fins

Also, I do not plan to open up any existing wall. The frame for the divider/separator/entrance way will be going on top of the existing sheet rock.

Thank you for your help.
    My 2 cents ------
    If you are simply butting the wall intersection you have to think the stud stands proud 1-1/2 from the wall . For a finished look I would cut a section of the baseboard heating --- build out the wall --- drill the hole for the tubing to connect the sections on either side together. Put on new end caps for the baseboard heater housing ( chassis ) and you have a nice finished look.

You could try and just build around what already exists but it will look like just that.
    - Rush

I would not want to cut the pipe and solder it back together....I want to avoid that. As far as the "assembly that mounts to the wall and houses the tubing and fins"....I guess you mean the cover - which we will be replacing anyway.

My main concern is that there will be heat (the fins) running through the divider...I just want to make sure that it will be ok and it will not cause any damage to the divider or start a fire.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by geojf3 View Post
    I would not want to cut the pipe and solder it back together....I want to avoid that. As far as the "assembly that mounts to the wall and houses the tubing and fins"....I guess you mean the cover - which we will be replacing anyway.

My main concern is that there will be heat (the fins) running through the divider...I just want to make sure that it will be ok and it will not cause any damage to the divider or start a fire.

Thank you.
    The choice is yours on how you wish to do it.
    As mentioned earlier I don't see any reason why you can't remove the fins going through the wall.
    - Rush

That sounds great to me.

Thank you for your help.

G