+ Reply to Thread

Default PV Array On an 1836 Antique Colonial Home

My wife and I live in a historic 1836 home on an historic common in Massachusetts. For several years we have been in the process of making our home greener. We have insulated and tightened up the cellar and windows. Our current project is to have a PV solar array installed on our home and barn to make our own electricity. We will use the electricity to power our home, including an electric hot water heater and a few electric baseboards. Our primary heat source is wood. I am looking for pictures of a PV array installed on a historic home. As we live in a historic district, I have to apply to the local historic commission for approval. I have applied and a public hearing will be held in April on my application. I am trying to locate pictures of antique homes with a solar PV array installed. I would like anyone that might have an array on their home, or know of one, send me pictures of the installed array. The more visual information I have for the Commission, the better. Thanks for any and all help.

Default Re: PV Array On an 1836 Antique Colonial Home

Post-mounted panels might be a more sellable idea- especially since they have no effect on the home itself. With the right lot these are easy to 'mask' with Leyland Cypress trees or a nice fence which will make it even more of a non-issue.

Regardless, you gave up control of your property when you agreed to the conditions attached to it. I appreciate historical homes but I'd rather have more freedom to do what I want which is why I'll never own one or live in a highly restricted area. Newer ain't always better, but freedom to do as you wish always is.

Phil

Thanks Phil I appreciate the reply. We actually have looked into a ground array, however, we would have to cut down about 2 acres of trees in order to achieve this. I tend to agree with you on the Historic restrictions. We knew full well what we were about to buy into. Beautiful home in a beautiful district for sure. However, everything that can be seen from the street is ruled on by our local Commission, which I am also a member of. Either way you look at it, progress is necessary at all times. Just think how our homes would be powered without the electric line coming into it. Just trying to find someone out there that might have installed solar panels on an antique home for possible visuals for the Commission. Thanks again.

AdamsBurr

What about PV shingles?
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...205726,00.html

I looked into these a couple of years ago and the options available in the US were limited but I believe things have evolved a bit.

I did look into the solar shingles a few years ago, however, the cost was too much for us to handle. We also have a new roof already installed, so figured a solar array was the way to go. I do appreciate the thought, thanks.