+ Reply to Thread

Default Sound proofing the Man Cave

My boyfriend's man cave is getting moved up to the finished attic so he has more room. It was finished by the previous owners and is only paneling over studs with no insulation what-so-ever. He plays guitar and likes to play very loudly. So I need an inexpensive way to quiet what I hear downstairs so he can be as loud as he wants. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Sound proofing the Man Cave

Heavy carpet and pad on the floor will help to subdue sound transmission through the floor. Cheaper would be to put a heater in the garage and put him out there.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ANEarly View Post
    My boyfriend's man cave is getting moved up to the finished attic so he has more room. It was finished by the previous owners and is only paneling over studs with no insulation what-so-ever. He plays guitar and likes to play very loudly. So I need an inexpensive way to quiet what I hear downstairs so he can be as loud as he wants. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Getting rid of the hard surface paneling -- adding insulation to the walls and floor would greatly help. Besides noise control , without any insulation in the walls , etc. that space will be uncomfortably hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
    The first thing in sound control is the source room surface treatment. Hard reflective surfaces need to be eliminated --replaced or covered with sound absorbing ( insulating ) materials like thick carpet as Sprucey mentioned, and heavy fabric. Then, having well insulated walls and floor cavities will aid in sound transmission from the space. In short, the more areas insulated and the thicker --- the less sound transmission.
    However, I doubt you'll be able to completely make it quiet enough on an inexpensive budget , but , you'll improve your chances.

If you want the least expensive suggestion --- aside from the garage relocation -- force your boyfriend to play his axe through headphones.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Cool Re: Sound proofing the Man Cave

A cheaper sound proofing technique is to cover the walls with foam and egg containers. I have seen this being used in local rehearsal studios. It works.

Since you have a hard surface to begin with, peal and stick carpet tiles on the walls or acoustic ceiling tiles glued to the walls first, the as mentioned above, the bottoms of foam egg containers stuck or pinned to the carpet. Heavy carpet on the floors with a heavy duty rubber pad under the carpet. You won't need the most expensive carpet, but you will need the best carpet pad you can get.

For really cheap, just use the best carpet pad on the walls and floor, then cheap carpet on the floor and the egg carton bottoms on the walls and even the ceiling. For the ceiling, you might try the paper mache egg carton bottoms painted black, might not be as good as the foam but they would look cooler.

To start with, eliminating noise from an attic will mean isolating the entire area under the room from the noise. All the joists the room sits on will be vibrating, even outside the room walls. The flooring ideas suggested are great, but the simplest and most effective wall treatments are to be found by hanging heavy carpeting, rugs, or quilts from the ceiling to the floor a couple inches inside the walls This will deaden a huge amount of sound before it reaches the wall surface. Cover everything but the door- at it cut a proper sized hole and attach the wall hangings to the doorframe. Attach heavy carpet to both sides of the door remembering to do the inswing side with the door closed so that it will still close.

I learned this after working sound with a small recording studio. 800 watts of audio was barely audible 50 feet from the house and not at all objectionable anywhere else in that house. Full power in the studio was too painful for most people so we normally ran about 40 watts 1nto the monitors. The main thing to remember is that sound is just vibrating air- stop the vibrations and you stop the sound. If you can't stop it you can adjust it's resonance beyond the sound frequency but that's geeting too deep for an answer here.

Another issue to consider is that most of the common soundproofing methods (including those mentioned so far here) are somewhat flammable so there must be no smoking or flames of any kind on the studio period. Also keep all the equipment away from the walls so that spot-heating doesn't cause a fire. Some tube amps can get hot enough to melt foam eggcrate a foot away.

Oh, and one more thing- If this boyfriend is a 'keeper', y'all need to learn sign-language because he's going to need it My loud music experience is the main reason I'm 90% deaf in one ear and 50% deaf in the other and I'm just in my 50's He needs an education on the subject of taking care of his hearing more than he needs a studio

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 03-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Thank you all for your suggestions and for keeping them cheap and simple. Im excited to tackle this project. And Phil... He is already fairly hard of hearing but Im pretty sure that its more of a "selective hearing" problem. But I'll recommend he protect his hearing. Lets hope it doesnt fall upon deaf ears!

Howdy schedule the practices while you are out shopping spending all of his money... Sorry could not help it. But is there head sets that can play only him the music?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Smile Re: Sound proofing the Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by ANEarly View Post
    He is already fairly hard of hearing
    Seriously... this could be why he's playing it loud, because he can't hear it.... he might want to get his hearing checked before he needs to learn sign language....

Miracote makes a cement that reduces sounds that can be placed over plywood, it goes on pretty thin. After you can place carpet or what ever over it.