+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electric Range Behaving Strangely

Quote Originally Posted by erikhaan View Post
    It appears I need part number D8604202, according to this site.

Can someone confirm this for me, based on the discussion we've had in this thread (I won't hold anyone to misdiagnosing the problem. I just want to be sure I'm searching for the correct part, based on what we think the problem is)?

If this is the part I need, I've searched a variety of sites and it seems the part is obsolete and there isn't a replacement available.
    Different manufacturers of after market parts have their own part numbers. But in this case, it's immaterial, because as I told you 3 days ago, finding your part won't be easy.

Still want to locate a circuit board (control board, timer)?

You can get it here

http://www.partselect.com/PS1505995-...hTerm=D8604202

Before you buy a new one, try removing the connectors at the back and clean them with some MAF cleaner available an auto parts store or contact cleaner available at Radio Shack. Do the end at the control panel and at the power supply/ relay board. It might just fix it, particularly if the display comes back when you tap it.

Canuk & Keith are absolutely correct!

I recently completed repair/parts overhaul on a 40 yr old Westinghouse Elec Range----after going nuts running around my local area for surface coils and oven coils, which were nowhere to be found, a kindly local elec parts dealer was gracious enough to look up the after-market parts numbers for the needed items.

After-market electric range parts sales have become a nationwide endeavor in the U.S.; thus, local elec parts distribs with their very small parts inventories are simply unable to compete or offer product as does a gigantic, national after-market parts distrib. with an 80 million sq. ft warehouse in Moline, Tacoma, or Dallas.

Once I had the AMPNs, it was a simple matter to Google them along with the range model number and brand.

The key to the whole deal is to get the AMPD part number (try a local appliance parts distrib for best results), then do your search, using THAT NUMBER---because all the nationwide elec parts distribs USE THE SAME NUMBER for each electric range part sold in the USA.

Not only were the parts 1/2 the price of local distributors, but the nationwide distributors usually offered free or low-cost shipping, as well as website assistance if the customer needs help----these major distributors of after-market parts can be thousands of miles away from your home, but they are somehow able to ship the part to your address within 2-3 days!

The high number of AMPDs will be displayed as you Google your part #, so you can price-compare before you select the AMPD with whom you want to do business---there must be a lot of $$$ in this line of endeavor, because the competition among the distribs is really keeping the electric range parts prices down----good!
    Last edited by von_steuben; 03-29-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    You can get it here

http://www.partselect.com/PS1505995-...hTerm=D8604202

Before you buy a new one, try removing the connectors at the back and clean them with some MAF cleaner available an auto parts store or contact cleaner available at Radio Shack. Do the end at the control panel and at the power supply/ relay board. It might just fix it, particularly if the display comes back when you tap it.
    I tried cleaning with MAF cleaner, as you suggested, but it didn't change anything. I did it by disconnecting at the following locations. Did I do it correctly?

Looks like you did, it was worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Looks like you did, it was worth a shot.
    I completely agree.

At this point I am going to schedule an appointment with a repair service. While I appreciate the advice regarding stopping by a local appliance outlet and grabbing the universal parts number, I'm not 100% sure the issue is the ERC (it seems it could also be the power supply). I'm also short on time in my busy life, so I'd rather have a qualified technician come over and tell me what the problem is, versus me spending additional hours taking guesses.

I'll let everyone know what comes of the appointment!