+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Electric Range Behaving Strangely

Hello, kitchen and appliance experts! I have an interesting case I'm hoping you can help me solve.

I own an old (not sure how many years) Amana Self-Cleaning Electric Range, Model: ARR630. One day recently the display just blanked out and the oven locked itself. It then unlocked itself after a few minutes. My wife and I reset the circuit breaker and, to this day, it does the same thing. Nothing appears on the display and, if we keep the circuit "On" the oven locks itself.

Is this something I might be able to fix, or do I need to call a repair service? The owner's manual doesn't reference this issue in its "Troubleshooting" section.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Erik
    Massachusetts

Default Re: Electric Range Behaving Strangely

Without seeing your appliance it sounds like a control board issue. If your oven is pretty old, you won't be able to find a replacement very easily. Even if you found one, your time and costs will make the decision to dump the oven and purchase a new one very sensible.

If it happened to me, I'd replace it. Major appliances aren't built to last forever, no matter what brand. If you get 15 years out of a range oven, consider yourself lucky.

Question Re: Electric Range Behaving Strangely

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Without seeing your appliance it sounds like a control board issue. If your oven is pretty old, you won't be able to find a replacement very easily. Even if you found one, your time and costs will make the decision to dump the oven and purchase a new one very sensible.

If it happened to me, I'd replace it. Major appliances aren't built to last forever, no matter what brand. If you get 15 years out of a range oven, consider yourself lucky.
    Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion. Anyone else have a suggestion on this issue? I'd like to get at least three opinions before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by erikhaan View Post
    Hello, kitchen and appliance experts! I have an interesting case I'm hoping you can help me solve.

I own an old (not sure how many years) Amana Self-Cleaning Electric Range, Model: ARR630. One day recently the display just blanked out and the oven locked itself. It then unlocked itself after a few minutes. My wife and I reset the circuit breaker and, to this day, it does the same thing. Nothing appears on the display and, if we keep the circuit "On" the oven locks itself.

Is this something I might be able to fix, or do I need to call a repair service? The owner's manual doesn't reference this issue in its "Troubleshooting" section.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Erik
    Massachusetts
    If the display is completly blank and if there is no sound when you push the touchpad, there is a good chance your problem is related to the power supply.
    Depending on your skill level and if you are handy with a volt-meter you can determine whether power is being sent to your timer. If the timer is getting power, then the problem is likely with the timer, otherwise it could be a problem related to the wiring or components between the outlet and the timer board.With ranges and dryers , because of the heat these appliances generate , I find a lot of burnt or broken wire connections that can be simply repaired. That's not to say that's what is wrong with your range but it's a good place to start.
    As for the oven "lock", your oven may be programmed so as to have the lock function enabled to prevent the unintended use of the oven. The normal default setting is usually disabled.

Personally, I would attempt to repair the appliance first before considering disposal. Electric ranges can be long lasting appliances with minimul ( for the most part ) repairs with most components reasonably priced. Albeit, with a range like yours --- self cleaning and Electronic Range Control ( ERC ) --- the cost and complexity to repair would be more than a manual clean range. I believe you could probably find a replacement ERC timer for around $130 o n l i n e , if yours is indeed faulty, which is cheaper than purchasing a new range.
    Last edited by canuk; 03-25-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    If the display is completly blank and if there is no sound when you push the touchpad, there is a good chance your problem is related to the power supply.
    Depending on your skill level and if you are handy with a volt-meter you can determine whether power is being sent to your timer. If the timer is getting power, then the problem is likely with the timer, otherwise it could be a problem related to the wiring or components between the outlet and the timer board.With ranges and dryers , because of the heat these appliances generate , I find a lot of burnt or broken wire connections that can be simply repaired. That's not to say that's what is wrong with your range but it's a good place to start.
    As for the oven "lock", your oven may be programmed so as to have the lock function enabled to prevent the unintended use of the oven. The normal default setting is usually disabled.

Personally, I would attempt to repair the appliance first before considering disposal. Electric ranges can be long lasting appliances with minimul ( for the most part ) repairs with most components reasonably priced. Albeit, with a range like yours --- self cleaning and Electronic Range Control ( ERC ) --- the cost and complexity to repair would be more than a manual clean range. I believe you could probably find a replacement ERC timer for around $130 o n l i n e , if yours is indeed faulty, which is cheaper than purchasing a new range.
    What is there IS sound when we push the touchpad (we tried that tonight)? Do you think that means something different?

Quote Originally Posted by erikhaan View Post
    What is there IS sound when we push the touchpad (we tried that tonight)? Do you think that means something different?
    As I mentioned earlier , if there is no display and sound then troubleshooting the power supply would be in order.
    Based on your latest reply --- there does seem to be sound when the display blanks out which would eliminate the need to troubleshoot the power supply.

At this point if the display blanks out periodically then looks as though the ERC needs replacing or repaired.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    As I mentioned earlier , if there is no display and sound then troubleshooting the power supply would be in order.
    Based on your latest reply --- there does seem to be sound when the display blanks out which would eliminate the need to troubleshoot the power supply.

At this point if the display blanks out periodically then looks as though the ERC needs replacing or repaired.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an "ERC"? And can you direct me to instructions on how I would go about replacing it?

In a previous post I had explained ERC stands for Electronic Range Control --- also called a timer .
    You would have to remove the back panel of the range to access the ERC ( timer ) to remove it.
    Look o n l i n e for places that sell or repair these and contact them .
    - Rush

If you fix the range stove successfully, please let us know what you paid to have it fixed and where you found the part.

If you decide to replace the range oven, please let us know too.

It appears I need part number D8604202, according to this site.

Can someone confirm this for me, based on the discussion we've had in this thread (I won't hold anyone to misdiagnosing the problem. I just want to be sure I'm searching for the correct part, based on what we think the problem is)?

If this is the part I need, I've searched a variety of sites and it seems the part is obsolete and there isn't a replacement available.