+ Reply to Thread

Default Refinishing old wood floors without losing character

I'm buying a 1921 Chicago Bungalow, and the wood floors throughout have a great character to them, but in some places they are severely worn (all the way to the bare wood).

I'm trying to find what the most cost effective way is to preserve them without losing the character that they have now. Ideally they'd look almost identical to their current condition, just minus the worn patches.

Any advice? There are patches like this throughout the house, so it seems like refinishing everything could be prohibitively expensive. Is this something I could do myself?

Thanks!

Default Re: Refinishing old wood floors without losing character

if you have heavy wear patterns in the floor in the major traffic areas they really need to be resurfaced via a drum sander. this will require sanding off up to 1/8 of wood everywhere in the house to get a uniform finish through out. drum sanders can be rented at any big box store that has a rental department or a tool rental shop. in my experience its far cheaper to rent through a tool rental shop than through a big box..

i rented a drum sander and edger through a tool rental shop when i bought my house, at the same time a couple friends did the same thing through home depot. it cost them more than double to rent through hd as they use the newer style machines which require sanding belts which are almost 3x as expensive as the older machines plus the rental rate was 30% more for the machine itself
    fire up the saw and make some dust