+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing new wiring in existing home

I'm looking to buy a 2 story home built in 1966. It has no overhead lighting. Want to install overhead lighting. I need to know if this can be done without destroying ceiling and wall. There is an existing switch for electrical outlet.

Any comments, inputs, suggestions, recommendations?

Default Re: Installing new wiring in existing home

It can be done but usually requires some demolition. Holes will be needed to pull wires, drill holes, etc, but these usually are not that large and easily patched. The number and size of the holes will depend on the routing of the wires.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Keep in mind if you are adding lights in the ceiling of the second story rooms .... you are likely creating an opening into the attic.
    It's important to get light boxes that are insulation contact rated ( IC ) to be covered with insulation. Also ensure these are air sealed to prevent condensation issues for these areas.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thats a pretty nifty picture..However I would never make a hole on both sides of a stud..typically i do all my snakinig in the ceiling..start at the hole in the ceiling above the light switch, usualy about 1" wide by 2" long. ( make sure your snake is long enough to reach to a hole for the light box, but not so long that you can't easily "roll " it)slide the snake in until it lines up at a 90 from the light box. next with a shorter piece of snake you need to grab the hook on the first snake. SIMPLE right.. Oh yeah this technique will only work if there is strapping installed across the bottom of the joists.