+ Reply to Thread

Default Restaing Deck Advice

Me and my wife would like to restain our deck ourselves this time(done bu someone else 1st time). I power washed it during the fall and I think I need to do it again before we do the stain. Can anyone give us advice on the best way to apply the stain. We are thinking all the spindles are going to be a PIA.

I keep trying to upload .jpg pics(only 78kb) but when i upload it says "not a valid image file"

Default Re: Restaing Deck Advice

Horsegoer,

There is no labor saving magic bullet for staining a deck. You have to get down there and brush it on to properly coat all surfaces. I have nothing against the use of a spray, roller or pad to rapidly get the material down there, so long as it is back brushed into the surface and down into the joints and gaps. Most decks have significant gaps between the decking boards. There is no substitute for physically rubbing the stain in , either by brush or by pads which are made for that purpose. Spray alone totally misses these areas.

When doing a deck with spindles, I like to do the spindles after the decking. Why? because if you drip onto an unsealed deck, you risk getting drip marks into the wood which will show through the final stain coat. Such a drip can rapidly be wiped off a dry, freshly stained deck. In any event, I would still be using some form of dropcloth under the spindles while staining them.

If the deck hasn't been cleaned since last fall, you should definitely clean it again. Be careful with that powerwasher. It is easy to do damage to the existing finish and the decking itself with too powerful a blast. Use a cleaning solution such as "Jomax" and only use the powerwasher as a vigorous rinse. Jomax is a cleaner and mildecide.

I an assuming that this is merely a refresh coat and the deck is otherwise in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Horsegoer,

There is no labor saving magic bullet for staining a deck. You have to get down there and brush it on to properly coat all surfaces. I have nothing against the use of a spray, roller or pad to rapidly get the material down there, so long as it is back brushed into the surface and down into the joints and gaps. Most decks have significant gaps between the decking boards. There is no substitute for physically rubbing the stain in , either by brush or by pads which are made for that purpose. Spray alone totally misses these areas.

When doing a deck with spindles, I like to do the spindles after the decking. Why? because if you drip onto an unsealed deck, you risk getting drip marks into the wood which will show through the final stain coat. Such a drip can rapidly be wiped off a dry, freshly stained deck. In any event, I would still be using some form of dropcloth under the spindles while staining them.

If the deck hasn't been cleaned since last fall, you should definitely clean it again. Be careful with that powerwasher. It is easy to do damage to the existing finish and the decking itself with too powerful a blast. Use a cleaning solution such as "Jomax" and only use the powerwasher as a vigorous rinse. Jomax is a cleaner and mildecide.

I an assuming that this is merely a refresh coat and the deck is otherwise in good shape.
    YEs the deck was built four years ago. I really appreciate the advice...so it woud be best to avoid the sprayer??

horsegoer,

The sprayer is fine so long as the stain is "backbrushed" into all the gaps. Also, when staining, only do two or three boards at a time, going the entire length of those boards. If you try to carry too many boards at a time, you risk having it set up, leaving lap marks. A checkerboard look is the result. The warmer the weather, carry less boards. Stay out of the sun. You do not want to be staining onto a hot surface. Drying too fast is never good for paint or stain.

horsegoer,

The sprayer is fine so long as the stain is "backbrushed" into all the gaps. Also, when staining, only do two or three boards at a time, going the entire length of those boards. If you try to carry too many boards at a time, you risk having it set up, leaving lap marks. A checkerboard look is the result. The warmer the weather, carry less boards. Stay out of the sun. You do not want to be staining onto a hot surface. Drying too fast is never good for paint or stain.
    Thanks I really appreciate the advice. What do you mean exactly by backbrushing? I'm thinking it's maybe double work to use a sprayer then backbrush. Unless you backbrush only part of the area you sprayed. Maybe we should just stick to brushing everything????

One other question. Does the entire deck have to be stained in one day or can we do half one weekend and the other the next weekend? Thanks

Horsegoer,
    "Backbrushing" is merely using the brush to scrub the stain onto all the surfaces. Physically brushing the stain gives additional adhesion and forces it into areas the sprayer alone won't reach. Backbrushing is more commonly done on wideopen areas such as siding. Spraying does get the material up there faster than constantly dipping a brush or filling a roller.

You can certainly break off your work to continue later. Just make sure you "square off" on a continuous board so as to avoid any lapping of the stain.

Horsegoer,
    "Backbrushing" is merely using the brush to scrub the stain onto all the surfaces. Physically brushing the stain gives additional adhesion and forces it into areas the sprayer alone won't reach. Backbrushing is more commonly done on wideopen areas such as siding. Spraying does get the material up there faster than constantly dipping a brush or filling a roller.

You can certainly break off your work to continue later. Just make sure you "square off" on a continuous board so as to avoid any lapping of the stain.
    Thanks Orden very much. Just to be clear, it is better to use the brush on everything otherwise I need to spray then go over the sprayed areas(backbrush) with a brush thus doing double, or almost double the work?? THanks again

One other thing, can we use a semi transparent stain again even though some of it is still on the deck? We want to use the same color...Brown. THanks.
    Last edited by horsegoer; 03-27-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Horsegoer,

If your deck is still in pretty good shape, you should be able to merely give it a refresher coat.
    If all else fails, follow the instructions on the can

Spraying and backbrushing is not actually twice the work. Spraying does get the material on the surface faster, it just does not penetrate and adhere as well as when brushed.

Thanks. I know I'm killing you... Sorry.

What is the best type of brush to use? Do you have an opinion on the best stain? Thanks