+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: cracking pvc trap

Jled,

When you're in the rental business, this is what you have to put up with.

Why don't you have a talk with your tenants, expressing your concern about the recurring condition. Maybe you need to teach them how to use a GD, what can or can't go in. I've had tenants who thought they could sharpen their knives in the GD. Worst case scenario, evict them on the ground of being terrorists. Your plumber will be witness #1.

Wink Re: cracking pvc trap

Unfortunatly I am stuck with these tenants until next may. I have already told them about the damage they are causing to the home numerous times, and I get the old wasn't me, or it was like that when I know it was not, being a family estate house I am the youngest of 6 children and most able to take care of it, when my parents pass on, the first thing I will do is rid myself of this nightmare, I keep the home up for my parents for the point of selling it later, but the money it costs for the assisted living and the rent i collect for the property it is a losing battle! Thanks for all the reply's!

You might want to check with your local landlord regulations/rights and see what you might be able to do about evicting troublesome tenants. As you've described, they are willfully damaging the property by abusing it. Fortify yourself with knowledge and act accordingly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I see your frustration here, but you are already so deep in it.

In my state, intentionally or not, a damage causing tenant is comitting a misdemeanor. The court will side with you, the landlord, no questions asked, if you can prove your case. I have zero respect for such a tenant, and have him/her evicted, no matter what my loss going to be. Better to lose it on court costs than on structual. Also, a lot depends on your rental agreement, if you have one at all.

Call an eviction lawyer today, and find out what rights you have in your state.

Yes massachusett is pretty much a tenats rights state, I evicted one set of tenants years ago, and they sued me for $ 300k 2 years later saying there was lead paint in the house which was remodeled and it was there buried under the paneling and sheetrock, the remodeling sent the dust into the air and her husband got sick, they ignored the fact that he was a welder and iron worker for 30 years, We let the insurance company handle that one after they cancelled our policy anyway.I have always used a realator to screen tenants and have gotten burned 3 times, Last time I let the realator talk us into signing a 2 year lease for the property, that is not up until next may. I guess I will wait untill then to see waht happens, hopefully our new president will turn this economy and house prices around,then and we can recoup all the costs put into the house. Thanks!

If you're a landlord, you need legal advice from an attorney who works for the local slumlord. They will know all the ways to get things done and the possible consequences of your actions. I live in a 'renters rights' state, but few tenants know this and most attorneys presume normal laws apply. I've seen someone get away without paying a very high rent for 9 months and I've seen hired 'thugs' go in and toss out a tenant's belongings the moment they left home when he rent was just a week behind. Both were legal enough so long as they were approached properly. You're stuck in a tricky business so you need good legal advice.

As to the sink, I've seen just one cracked PVC trap and it was probably 20 years old. I'd study the whole set-up and add the Ferncos to alleviate movement. I wouldn't upgrade anything till these folks moved out because they will ruin it. When you replace things in a rental home they must be heavy-duty to last because people just don't care enough to take care of them.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I just did a bit of work on the sink and was persuaded by my plumber to re-locate the pvc trap to the basement, he just capped the old stub in the wall and drilled down through the cabinet to the basement and used the old waste/vent roof connection for venting only purposes now, I also boxed in around the disposer and drain connections so no one can mess with them again, this should be the end of this problem,I hope! Thanks!

He is not much of a plumber. What he did was turn a proper waste and vent into one that is not. There are limits as to how far a trap can be from a fixture. He has now exceeded that limit.

John

Thanks john, I think he said it was at 24" from the diposer outlet to the outlet of the trap,so it is basically 12" lower than before, he also went to 2" pipe and trap now to match what goes up to the roof, was 1 1/2" stub before, I have never seen water drain so fast now, a full sink is gone in 10 seconds, This was my chepest option for now, the cast iron sink and reinforcing the cabinet would have cost well over $1000, so for $200 I will give this a shot for now. Thanks again!