+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink cracking pvc trap

I have an ongoing issue with a pvc trap in a rental unit. I have had a plumber repair it at least 6 times in 3 years, it is a pvc trap that is under a kitchen sink with a disposer and dishwasher connected to it. The pipe in the wall is cast iron and the stub out is pvc with the trap. I have had the trap crack at least 4 times and loosen up and leak at least a dozen times, my plumber thinks the tenants are dropping pans in the stainless steel sink and cracking the trap, i was thinking of making the connection to the wall stub less ridgid by cutting the pvc and adding one of those rubber fernco couplers, this way the trap can flex without breaking. My only other option is to use one of those cheapo flexable traps and hope it lasts, this is getting to be an expensive problem, have replaced the cabinet twice and paid my plumber to replace the parts way too many times, plus I am getting too old to keep going over there and tightening the trap every other month, anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: cracking pvc trap

I'd be more inclined to believe the issue has more to do with the weight and vibration of the disposer rather than pans dropping in the sink.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I have never seen a tubular PVC trap crack. Is he using a SCH 40 trap with a lock nut? If so it is possible that the vibration from the disposal can be effecting the trap. If so then switch over to a tubular trap.

John

John --- Ditto --- I've never seen a trap crack either --- never mind 6 times.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    John --- Ditto --- I've never seen a trap crack either --- never mind 6 times.
    There must be something he is not being told by his plumber. If he is a plumber, I suspect he may be a maintenance man that's in over his head.

John

I'd have to agree with the others, as I've never experienced any cracking or problems with pvc/abs traps and parts with a disposal or cast waste line in the wall, even with a cheapy flexy stainless sink.

If this is an ongoing problem, get rid of the disposal. With no disposal, you shouldn't have the debris going down the sink that people like to stuff down there that inevitably clog up the works. Also with no disposal, there will be a whole lot less vibration and movement of the plumbing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let's sort it out:

1. I find it odd to hear about cracks in the pvc drain, unless the tenant or the plumber are causing them. Are you present when the plumber is there? You need to see it with your own eyes.

2. You may have a heavy garbage disposer, too heavy for the sink. If you have a thin stainless steel sink (22 gauge), some GDs can't be installed there. The same is true about some of those fancy heavy kitchen faucets. Get under the sink and see if the GD is stable or swaying while the GD is operating and when it's not. If it's one of those heavy units, replace it with a modern lighter weight GD. Or replace the sink. I bet you this won't happen with a cast iron sink.

3. Switch to metal (tubular) drain trap and arm. You can also do the no hub connection or flex connector, as last resort.

4. I would keep my eye on the tenant as well. Tenents do the impossible things. I know, I've seen it with my own eyes.

I forgot one more thing:

Don't delete the GD. You must have a GD in a rental house to avoid costlier backups and blockages.

Wink Re: cracking pvc trap

I think it is definately the tenants causing this problem, I remodeled the kitchen after the first leak, its a kohler 8.5" deep stainless sink, and an insinkerator eveloution 3/4 horse disposer, I got rid of the cheapo elkay sink and badger disposer last year, thinking that was the problem. I think the cast iron sink is the way to go, I want the problem fixed for good. I put in the disposer after the last tenants kept flushing food, and other things down the toilet and clogged the main drain. I can measure 1/2" flex in the sink if I push down hard in the center. Plumber says its pans being dropped or the tennants jamming the diposer and causing bad vibrations, I only saw one trap that was cracked all the other times I just sent him to fix the issue again, he says it was either loose or cracked every time, last time I had him silicone the nuts to see if they loosen. Thanks for all the reply's!

A cast iron sink will certainly cure the flexing problem, however, that doesn't stop your guido tenants from chipping the enamel off when they toss in those heavy pots and pans.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!