+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement Ceiling/Floor Joists

I want to use the basement of my circa 1920s house as a workshop and wondered if anyone had any luck with painting the "ceiling" to brighten up the space. Its an old stone foundation and from what I can tell the place is pretty dry (I just bought it), but there aren't any windows (thanks to a quick vinyl siding job that covered them up with foam and siding years ago) so its really dark down there. I'm planning on rewiring the space to include overhead florescent lights and outlets along the walls, but I'd love to reduce the amount of lighting I'll need by brightening up the space. I'm not worried about the walls since they'll be lined with 2X4 shelves that I'll make, but I was thinking of just priming and painting the ceiling with a good latex primer/sealer and an interior "off white" color.

Any words from the wise?

Wink Re: Basement Ceiling/Floor Joists

No reason you can't paint the floor joists and underside of the subflooring, wish i did that myself before I built my work shop and added florescent lights, just make sure the joists are clean and free from debris,you don't want to ruin you new paint job, a lot can accumulate up there over the years, cobwebs, sawdust, insects,etc. Good Luck!

Default Re: Basement Ceiling/Floor Joists

There is not much that can be added to jled96's answer and I agree that you have the green light to do it.

When you talk about paints, don't get those paints which have a primer in them. Just apply a good primer, wait till it's very dry and apply your paint.