+ Reply to Thread

Default GeoSpring™ Hybrid Water Heater by GE

I am considering replacing my standard gas water heater with either a Tankless water heater or a GeoSpring™ Hybrid Water Heater by GE and wonder if anyone has valuable information as to what is best and if using a GeoSpring™ Hybrid Water Heater which is powered by electricity and not gas is really more efficient?

Default Re: GeoSpring™ Hybrid Water Heater by GE

According to the manufacture this thing is more efficient than most tankless type gas water heaters now I am sure when it was written it probably was but now with the 98% 95% ones its probably outdated and referring to the 85-90% works good in certain conditions it converts your ambient air and turns it into hot water its a slow process and has a back up element to help keep the water to temperature now keep in mind it will rob about 2-3 degrees from the room to heat it so in summer depending on where you live it will be nice and helpful but if you have cold winters like here it won't work very well if its cold because it has to be i think to work correctly I think it said optimally 65 degrees or higher but if it robs you of heat then your spending more on heating see what I mean it is more and it isn't more depending on your circumstances also keep in mind electric doesn't do so well against hard water nor does its tankless buddy so a softener is a must on these applications and flush them once a year to keep them functioning if you don't you will have damaged a brand new 1000's of dollars unit its like buying a porsche and not putting in bad gas everyday or not changing its oil best of luck.

Ben & Munson Mech Plumbing
    300 N 100 W
    Lehi, UT 84043
    (801) 960-1766

Thank You for your information. As it turns out I failed to mention that I live in North Las Vegas Nv and I wouldn't think ambient temperature would be much of a problem as you well know but I will keep that in mind of course.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by gottfriedp View Post
    I am considering replacing my standard gas water heater with either a Tankless water heater or a GeoSpring™ Hybrid Water Heater by GE and wonder if anyone has valuable information as to what is best and if using a GeoSpring™ Hybrid Water Heater which is powered by electricity and not gas is really more efficient?
    Currently, neither tankless nor Hybrid are more efficient than the traditional, conventional gas tank water heater. If they were, they would be in every home by now.

For us, living in the southwest, solar would be the answer for efficiency, but monopolies won't let solar in and that's a fact. Until then stick with the same thing you have.

I have been replacing tank water heater since the days they were selling for $89, and you can't beat them in reliability. They are not completely trouble free though. Still, cheaper than the other ones, they don't require expensive conversions, natural gas is relatively inexpensive, and they contain a lot of water you can use in case of emergency (earthquake for example).

So a traditional tank water heater with a EF rating of 0.58-0.65 isn't more efficient than a tankless EF rating of 0.98 ??? is that what your saying? because my traditional tank I paid around $14-18 dollars a month on average with my tankless I pay around $6-8 a month in gas and my electric bill has gone up about $2 more a month the reason why everyone isn't jumping on the band wagon is they have a huge upfront cost.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    benfranklinplumbingalpine.com