+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy crumbling walk & stairs

The concrete brick walkway and stairs in front of house are crumbling badly. One contractor wants to overlay with brick veneer ($7500 +) These bricks were laid over an existing concrete walkway some 30 years ago.. Is overlaying a good solution, or can I do something better (and maybe cheaper)? We will have a safety hazard soon, so I need to do something. I am fairly handy, patient, and learn quickly. Husband not so. I have thought of maybe chiseling out the old brick and relaying something else, but if I start and it proves too much for me...then what?

Default Re: crumbling walk & stairs

Howdy without photos hard to say. Removing the walkway an installing a cement side walk is less $$. Installing something over a crumbling item = a short life to the new product.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

If your concrete walkway failed, why do you think a brick vaneer will survive?

Get 3 estimates for removing what you got now and replace it with nicely finished concrete walkway and stairs. Then go with the contractor you feel the best. Ask for references and follow through. This may be cheaper and safer.

If the concrete under the brick is OK, you can simply re-do what you've got if you like it. Demo'ing brick is relatively easy in situations like this so there are savings to be had there, but if the underlying concrete is bad that won't make much difference.

I'd recommend that you demo some brick to see what's under it, stopping if it's not going to pass muster and calling in someone to do a solid concrete stair and walk. If you have to to that remember that you aren't stuck with plain grey concrete- it is easily dyed many colors and stamped designs are nicer on the eye too.

If you replace the brick you may end up on the same situation again someday based on how much water the brick sees, freeze-thaw cycles, etc though well-done brick should last 30+ years anywhere. Your mason should have some good area-specific advice on making the new stair and walkway last.

Phil

Wink Re: crumbling walk & stairs

Thank you all. You have confirmed my gut instincts. I will try to find a few concrete contractors. I like the idea of stamping the concrete. I think it would look very nice. Thanks again, all.