+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Familiarity with Window Company

TOH Discussion: Doors & Windows:

Does anyone who follows discussion know anything about the company, Energyone Energy Efficient Home Improvements? The reason I ask is that one of their marketing managers contacted my wife and me about being becoming a "test house" for their newest energy-efficient windows. He explained that EnergyOne likes to product its products by means of test or spec houses that they select within their territory.

Therefore, I would like to know if any subscribers to this forum has interacted with this company and is willing to share their experience with us and other subscribers?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Paul Burnam

Default Re: Familiarity with Window Company

I'd dig into their history before speaking with them again to say any more than that. If they will do a job for free and not unduly bother you later on there might be something to this.

But to me this seems like just someone wanting to sell windows any way they can because their reputation isn't selling enough of them to stay in business otherwise! I might be wrong, so check into them yourself and don't sign anything you haven't fully read and that you fully agree with no matter what they say it means. Your signature can rip you off faster than a scam artist so use it wisely!

Phil

I've never heard of Enrgyone Windows, since they don't sell windows in my area. But that doesn't mean that they are not good.

It's not uncommon for companies to test new products like this. Just beware of any strings attached. Maybe they'll sell them at a reduced price. Mabe they only charge you for labor (so much though, that it will cover their material costs). Do as Phil says, be careful when you sign any papers.

Generally speaking, window makers follow the same guidelines and requirements, and all windows have to meet the same codes. Most differences are in appearance, style, finish, color, brandname, etc. No different than other consumer goods, like tires, plumbing supplies, etc.

Energy One Windows is not proposing free installation. The marketing manager who came to our house on Monday proposed to set up an appointment with one of his colleagues to review their proposal and answer questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burnam View Post
    Energy One Windows is not proposing free installation. The marketing manager who came to our house on Monday proposed to set up an appointment with one of his colleagues to review their proposal and answer questions.
    Paul,

You mentioned that they contacted your wife. That means they are soliciting you. All they really want at this point is to put a foot in your door. Once they achieve that, they camp in your living room, giving you their "presentation" (sales pitch), progressively put on more aggressive pressure as they go along. If at some point you say: "we have to think about it" they might say something like: "we are not leaving without an OK from you".
    If you say: "your price is too high" the salesman will reply: "let me call the boss and see if he lets me give you a discount".

You know car salesmen are pests. Window salesmen are worse, cause they are IN YOUR HOME. Now you're thinking: "how do I get them out of here?". If you don't want to commit, just throw them out. They won't leave, call the sheriff.

Well, thankfully, not every case is that extreme, but I've seen this happen. Good luck.

I have not heard of them, but this is a common sales tactic. It isn't necessarily a scam, as plenty of reputable companies that do home improvements use similar methods to convince you. It's annoying, but the nature of the business. If you need new windows, go ahead and listen to the sales pitch, but make the right decision. Don't let them convince you based on the "model home" line.

I donít know about this company but recently I have established slash windows in my house because I heard from my friends that these windows are quite good in energy efficiency. Just after few days I felt that they all were right about slash windows. These windows are perfect for any house.

Paul, if you get this message, I would be interested in your experience. We have an appointment to get the pitch tomorrow from Energy One here in Columbus, OH. In doing a little checking, it appears their windows are made by Alside, a vinyl window and siding manuf. here in the state. It looks like they make several lines specifically for Energy One (and do the same for other companies), as well as their own extensive lines of products. Thanks!

The "test house" or "demonstrator in the neighborhood" is just a marketing ploy; one might call it a ruse. It seems like they have a ready built-in answer to why they have no local references if asked for them.
    I am biased, as a preservationist I particularly despise replacement windows. They replace the money in your pocket with windows that will have problems after 15-20 years, and your restoreable, lifetime, irreplaceable wood windows are landfill. What a waste.
    It started in the 20's with the stucco men embalming older homes with a cement skin (shout out to Garden State Brickface) then in the 50's - 70's the tinmen sheathed the remaining old houses (mine included) in Maintenance-free Aluminum Siding (tm) , but in these cases the original materials were still in place, buried and decaying though they may be; these window shysters are a far worse sort, physically removing and destroying original fabric with an expensive and short-lived substitute product.
    rant over.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    The "test house" or "demonstrator in the neighborhood" is just a marketing ploy; one might call it a ruse. It seems like they have a ready built-in answer to why they have no local references if asked for them.
    I am biased, as a preservationist I particularly despise replacement windows. They replace the money in your pocket with windows that will have problems after 15-20 years, and your restoreable, lifetime, irreplaceable wood windows are landfill. What a waste.
    It started in the 20's with the stucco men embalming older homes with a cement skin (shout out to Garden State Brickface) then in the 50's - 70's the tinmen sheathed the remaining old houses (mine included) in Maintenance-free Aluminum Siding (tm) , but in these cases the original materials were still in place, buried and decaying though they may be; these window shysters are a far worse sort, physically removing and destroying original fabric with an expensive and short-lived substitute product.
    rant over.
    Casey
    Find me a company in my town willing to repair my original windows and make them open again, and I will call them today. It seems that skill is lost in some places.