+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default calcimine problem

we bought a 1955 ranch house 2 yrs ago. the first year we replaced windows, refinished floors, painted entire inside and had new trim (craftsman style) put on the windows/doors. this 2nd year a kitchen/dining addition was put on. just when we thought we could enjoy the house we noticed the paint is really peeling off the ceilings and walls in the old part of the house!! from what i can find it looks like it is a calcimine problem. UGH. the idea of having to sc****, wash, repaint and hope it doesn’t show up on more places is really upsetting. can we sheetrock over the walls? if so, are there any moisture issues that could occur between old wall and new sheetrock? we do not want any mold issues down the road. we do not want to think about gutting rooms again either- what a mess. fyi..the outside walls are not insulated. can you please, please help? thanks so much!

Default Re: calcimine problem

Binna,

Just curious, is the peeling only on outside and ceiling surfaces? What climate are you in? Hot and humid? Was air-conditioning recently added? Why do I ask? Possible condensation on the back side of your wall surfaces causing the bond of the paint or calsimine to be broken.

Did you recently paint the walls with latex paint over older oil painted surfaces? I have seen this happen when calsimine was first painted with oil paint, and then in later years with latex paint. The moisture of the latex paint would work its way down to the calsimine and cause it to fester up.

Actually, I would be surprised if a 1952 house would have still have been using calsimine, especially on the walls. You might try spraying a small area with water to see if moisture further lifts the paint. If so, it can be removed, although not without considerable mess!

In any event, if I had a house with no insulation, I would consider opening those walls to add insulation and check out the older wiring. The mid-50's were still transitioning from the older pre-World War2 standards to our present standards. Laminating over the existing walls with drywall will also make considerable dust. It will also knock all your trim out of alignment with the new thicker wall surface.