+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water Coming Out of Freezer Onto Kitchen Floor

I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigerator/freezer, Model # FPHS2687KF4. It is just over 1 year old. Last night, I found water on the kitchen floor in front of the freezer and there was frozen water on the floor in the freezer. This is the second time this has happened. Other than this problem, the appliance is working fine.

Before I call a repair person, I would like to trouble shoot the problem. I Googled this problem and I believe it may be a clogged drain line. I cannot find a diagram that shows the location of the drain line and Iím nervous about taking the back off of the appliance.

Should I just call a repair person ($$ ouch!) or can I fix this myself?

The first time the problem occurred, I just used a hair dryer to remove the ice from the bottom of the freezer floor. I crossed my fingers and hoped it would not happen again!

Default Re: Water Coming Out of Freezer Onto Kitchen Floor

First check the tray under the freezer, if there's one. See if it's full.

If not, then it could be what you're thinking. I've seen a drain tube covered with masking tape one time.

Taking the thing apart is not for the inexperienced, and unfortunately, appliance repair is not cheap. Do you still have any kind of warranty?

I found a drain pan and it's not full. I was hoping that could have been my easy fix!

I didn't buy an extended warranty and my 1 year warranty expired 7 months ago. I think that's how warranties are supposed to work.

Thank you for responding so quickly. Before I call a repair person, I'll check for any recall notices that may have been issued.

Have a good day.

To locate the upper end of the drain hose blow air through the bottom of the hose and feel around for where its coming out. Look for debris coming out too. This is best as a 2 person job. Canned air will work. An air compressor will too.

You can check on any one of a number of web sites that sell appliance parts too.

They frequently have the answer you need and diagrams of your particular model.

I just had to disassemble a front load washer that had a clogged drain.

It was daunting at first but it would have been two hours labor at least with a repair person.

When I was done I had no more issues and gained valuable experience.

Did I say also that I was able to troubleshoot and repair a range that had an inoperative oven this way?

In addition to what the others have said, are you sure that it's a freezer drain problem and not a water supply (to the ice maker ) problem? It is very common for the water line to leak where it connects to the freezer from the wall. It can also leak at the wall. I've also seen the tube the runs up the back of the appliance fail.

When you pull the appliance out away from the wall, you'll want to protect your floor if vinyl or wood, the weight of the appliance will leave grooves otherwise. I use a piece of 1/4" plywood, though you could just as easily used strips of the same material under the rollers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hello A. Spruce,

When the freezer first leaked, I shut off the water supply line and have not turned it back on. After a few weeks, the leak occured again. It appears it's not coming from the supply line, but I appreciate your suggestion.

On the interior lower portion of the freezer back wall, there is a small air vent. The water leak is coming from inside this 'vent' onto the freezer floor and then trickles out the freezer door onto the kitchen floor.

I can relate to the CDO instead of OCD. We just need an even number of letters. Are you Mr. Monk?

I've seen this problem a number of times. It's the drain line path from the freezer defrost being plugged.
    I use a portable vacuum's exhaust connection with a small tipped attachment to blow up the line to dislodge whatever debris is causing the blockage.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I've found that searspartsdirect.com has diagrams for many, many brands and models of appliances. That may help you figure out where the drain hose goes, and how to take things apart.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks to all the comments and suggestions. We found the problem! The hole in the aluminum drain pan cover was not properly aligned with the actual drain hole. Since water was not draining easily, it blocked up and froze. We got it unblocked and then modified the hole in the aluminum pan for proper alignment.

I sure appreciate the 'brain trust' of people on this website!