+ Reply to Thread

Default ping sound from lights

Just installed dimmable recessed lighting and im hearing a ping sound coming from each of the bulbs as i change the light level with the dimmer. Is this somehow normal and ive never heard it or did i mess up somewhere along the line? Its not as frequent now but i can hear it start again everytime i turn the light back on. Good ol' incandecent bulbs.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: ping sound from lights

Chances are that something is wrong here. But is it the dimmer or the bulbs? Test the bulbs in a different outlet, and if they are OK then it has to be the dimmer. Replace it if necessary.

All 4 bulbs do this plua the light in my bedroom does this but i suspected it was just because it was an older fixture in my bedroom and now this happens. They are on different circuits by the way. Im curious if anyone else has ever seen this but otherwise they operate fine.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

It almost makes me think the filament in the bulbs are causing the sound but i havent heard this before. Its not loud, the lights do not blink or fade. My bedroom also makes this sound for a few minutes after i turn the lightoff.

Smile Re: ping sound from lights

Where did you get these bulbs? Make/model? Bulbs usually only make a noise just before they go bad....