+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default advice needed for storing boxes

Can anyone advise or recommend a way for me to store multiple boxes within my home or gagage ??? The storage racks sold at big box stores are not enough. I currently am renting a off site storage unit and paying over one hundred dollars per month money has gotten tight and I would like to close out the unit. Thanks...

Default Re: advice needed for storing boxes

Depends on what's in the boxes, how often you get into them, and how heavy they are.

I personally like to use plastic totes with lids. When empty they stack together neatly, when full you can stack them several high as long as they're not heavy. You can mark them with their contents, etc.

The best containers have integrated hand grips. This makes the bin easier to store without the handles getting in the way. Integrated handles are also a lot stronger.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. To store stuff, you box it or you put it in plastic containers, label them and stack them as high as you can go. So what's the question?

Metal shelving units come in many sizes & capacities from the cheapest lightweight models to heavy duty shelves that can hold many hundreds of pounds. May have to go beyond big box stores. google will give you ideas.

Why donít you just sell the not so necessary or important item or throw them!

IF money is tight... sell or throw out some of hte stuff.

I figure if I haven't touched the item in 2-3 years, unless it's a heirloom, unique or valuable, it should be thrown out.

We would have thrown out a large chunk of the junk in our basement when we moved last year, but we got pressed for time since we had a expedited closing to suit the buyer.

+1 on totes. Stack heavy totes on bottom and lighter ones on top.

But it's worth repeating, is some of the stuff really worth keeping and buying totes, shelves or paying for storage.

I'll ask it this way, if the storage shed burnt down, would you replace any of thsoe items? IN not, toss or sell them.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    IF money is tight... sell or throw out some of hte stuff.

I figure if I haven't touched the item in 2-3 years, unless it's a heirloom, unique or valuable, it should be thrown out.

We would have thrown out a large chunk of the junk in our basement when we moved last year, but we got pressed for time since we had a expedited closing to suit the buyer.

+1 on totes. Stack heavy totes on bottom and lighter ones on top.

But it's worth repeating, is some of the stuff really worth keeping and buying totes, shelves or paying for storage.

I'll ask it this way, if the storage shed burnt down, would you replace any of thsoe items? IN not, toss or sell them.
    You're not talking about my garage, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You're not talking about my garage, are you?
    I don't think that is a conversation that any of us want to enter into.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I don't think that is a conversation that any of us want to enter into.
    hahah mine is a nightmare