+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Lower/Exterior T1-11 rot/replacement - whole house

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Good point Casey.

I was being facetious anyway. Best to replace everything as there would be problems when it comes to the exterior corners anyway.
    That's what spackle and caulking are for. (I can be facetious too! )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Lower/Exterior T1-11 rot/replacement - whole house

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    The thing of it is, the T-111 is not just the siding, but it is also the sheathing of the structure, just replacing it a bit at a time with lap siding will mean that the rack bracing effect of the sheathing is also going away. Plywood as siding is eventually a failure; you can't keep it painted often enough, it has a limitless capacity to shrink, weather and check, letting in ever more weather, until it fails completely. Trim and window details are difficult to weatherproof and not aesthetically satisfactory.
    Best idea is to remove it all, replace with plywood sheathing, then side with a material that can take weather exposure.
    Casey
    Casey, I do agree with you here- but the homeowner didn't seem to want to go there unless they had to, ergo my response. I've never seen T-111 last and that is why you don't see it used much anymore. Personally I don't like having so much exposed laminate edges at the grooves and the fact that these thinner areas weaken the panel. If I wanted a similar look I'd go with panels (plywood or Hardie) and batten strips. One of my favorite phrases is "there's a reason for that" followed by the explanation of why something is a good or bad idea. I usually use my phrase to explain the latter when someone has a 'bright idea' on how to get out cheap. I use that phrase for T-111 a lot!

I still think my idea will work as you're not removing much structure, and it ought to look good too. Maybe it's not the best possible option but sometimes good enough is good enough, and the homeowner has to make that call, hopefully with help from our collective knowledge.

Phil