+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lower/Exterior T1-11 rot/replacement - whole house

Just bought first home in very wooded Tuxedo NY. Nearly 2/3s of entire homes lower T1-11 rotted siding and trim needs replacement/repair - up to 12" in some spots. I'm trying to think of a whole-house replacement "baseboard" that would eliminate this very common problem while avoiding the obvious drawbacks of large-scale splicing of the same material. Perhaps a 2 X 12 pressure treated "band" (w/ decorative lattice?) or some type of PVC trim or some type of lightweight or faux stone siding could work? Any suggestions? Many thanks. Alan

Default Re: Lower/Exterior T1-11 rot/replacement - whole house

The siding has to be removed and replaced. Aesthetically, you will either have a strip of z-bar flashing around the bottom of the house or you can cover the flashing with the 2x as you suggest. The problem with adding a 2x is that it is only going to promote more rot because moisture will get between the 2x and siding. You could have some special z-bar made up that would extend out over the 2x as well, which will go a long way to preventing problems in the future.

Having said that, have you addressed the cause of the rot in the first place? For the skirt of most of the house to rot out suggests that the lawn sprinklers of some other regular water source is being sprayed onto the house. Another common cause is for dirt or mulch to be placed against the house. You need to determine what is causing the problem and rectify.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree w/ A.Spruce that you need to get a handle on what is causing the rot. I've had this prob. myself and it might just be that the bottom edge (that faces the ground) did not get painted or waterproofed like it should or it wasn't painted as routinely as the rest of the exterior bcz it's not visible unless the painter lies on the ground to look up at it.

However, I don't agree that all the siding needs to be replaced. I was actually thinking of your solution (before I read it) of using the treated 2x12 running along the perimeter at the bottom. But A.Spruce is right on and if that joint isn't sealed (caulked) properly where the T1-11 and the PT 2 x 12 meet, it's going to keep rotting. I myself, wouldn't add the lattice, but would consider an additional treated 'band' in lieu of the lattice...maybe a 1x8 or 1x6 to accent and break up the 2x12 visually. However, like the 2x12/T1x11 joint mentioned above this joint needs caulked and the bottom of this all needs painted or waterproofed.

I am inclined to disagree with the 2x12 idea because it will create a ledge that will collect water and wick it back into the house and/or hold moisture against the remaining t1-11. However, if you rip cut an angle along what will be the top edge of the 2x and when you cut the bottom off the t1-11 siding, that you use an angle so that water will drip off the siding and onto the 2x where it will shed from there.

Paint the cut edge of the siding and slip a little flashing up under it and just enough on top of the 2x so that it doesn't show but block water from getting into the framing should keep it waterproof. Paint the 2x of course, all sides and ends.

A 15 to 20 degree angle should be enough but 30 would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSweatandPigsEars View Post
    However, I don't agree that all the siding needs to be replaced.
    I was referring to only the damaged portion of the siding, not replacing the entire sheet or the entire house.

IMHO, a good repair will take into account aesthetics as well as remediation of the problem. Another idea you may like would be to cut the siding at approximately 3' from the ground, install a water table, then install cement plank siding underneath.

This is going to do several things. It's going to get materials that rot out of the area in question. Cement siding does not rot, so it would be a permanent repair. The water table would give you a clean break/transition between the old and new siding, giving you a nice finish.

You still need to address the issue that caused the rot in the first place, but spending a little more time and money to do it properly will add to the appeal of your home, not detract from it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would be inclined to replace the bottom 12" with a piece of 12" Hardie siding. Then as the rest of the T1-11 continues to rot away, you can add more and more rows of Hardie until all the T1-11 is gone.

I agree with HoustonRemodeler. Trying to install somthing as thick a a 2 X will cause more problems than it solves.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If a 'band' at the bottom will look ok, go with 3/4" PVC as they make z flashing for that width- anything wider will have to be 'broke' for the job. Here in the upstate of SC I've seen lots of T-111 rot, buckle, and fall apart due to our wet and humid summers. It was popular in the 70's and 80's but is rarely used these days here. You've got to maintain the paint religiously or it dies. The PVC material is made in various widths and lengths- I just got done with working with 4' X 20' panels of this stuff- that was a 2 man hassle of a job to just move so we could rip to width. I'd think anything over 12" in height would look weird but that's your call.

If I did use a z strip of any kind I would be sure to space it from the bottom of the T-111 by 1/8 inch or more to prevent water from wicking into the end-grain which I'd seal the heck out of anyway. I'd also make that siding cut on an angle so that the inner was above the exposed outer, forming a drip edge and spacing the unexposed siding even further from possible standing water. Do not caulk that closed- it's far better to leave it open to allow drainage and for the bottom of the siding to breathe and dry out if it needs to. This is where I've seen many problems with T-111 rotting because the caulking failed to keep all the water out but held enough in to create rot.

Keep the T-111 painted well and hopefully this fix will last and look good too.

Phil

The thing of it is, the T-111 is not just the siding, but it is also the sheathing of the structure, just replacing it a bit at a time with lap siding will mean that the rack bracing effect of the sheathing is also going away. Plywood as siding is eventually a failure; you can't keep it painted often enough, it has a limitless capacity to shrink, weather and check, letting in ever more weather, until it fails completely. Trim and window details are difficult to weatherproof and not aesthetically satisfactory.
    Best idea is to remove it all, replace with plywood sheathing, then side with a material that can take weather exposure.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Good point Casey.

I was being facetious anyway. Best to replace everything as there would be problems when it comes to the exterior corners anyway.