+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting kitchen cabinets

I reviewed the article on how to paint kitchen cabinets. Does it make a difference when you prime to use a latex paint or an oil base paint. Is one better over the other? I will be finishing the doors with a semi-gloss latex paint.

Default Re: Painting kitchen cabinets

Kishtokk,

I think your question is if an oil or latex primer is compatible with an oil or acrylic based finish coat? The answer is generally that they are interchangable and compatible once they are thoroughly dry.

My preference is for an oil or BIN shellac primer followed by an oil based finish coat, especially if the method of application is by brush. Oil paints dry much harder and do not have the gummy feel that acrylics have. Oils generally level better, leaving less brush marks. Spraying will give a smoother finish whether using oil or acrylic paint.

Acrylic paints have greatly improved in the last few years,however. Some acrylics are self-priming with great adhesion. One major advantage to using acrylic paint is that it does not yellow as do oil paints. This is really important if the cabinets are to be white in color.

One secret to brushing acylic/latex paints is to not excessively brush them. Their setting time is much shorter than oil paints. You must rapidly get the paint on and resist the temptation to think that you can get rid of the initial brush marks by continuing to brush. The paint will largely level itself, but only has a couple minutes to do so.

I advocate the use of foam rollers and the best brush you can afford. The foam rollers aid in getting an even coat on rapidly. The brush is then used to lightly knock down the roller "dipple" from the roller.

Default Re: Painting kitchen cabinets

thank you very much for the info your a wealth of knowledge. The weather is nice and can't wait to get started