+ Reply to Thread

Default Soffit ventilation

When my house was new, about 35 years ago, I would go into my unlit, unfinished attic and see light showing through the soffit vents.

Now, 35 years later, when I go into the attic, it is very dark. (No it's not night time )

Is it possible that the vents are clogged with dirt or could they be covered by settled insulation?

I'm 70 years old so it's a bit hard for me to crawl over the joists to see what exactly the problem is.

If it is just dirt, is there an easy way of cleaning these vents out?

Default Re: Soffit ventilation

Howdy, Yes insulation can cover the soffit vents plugging them. You can have a contractor/ handyman either remove and replace the clogged vents or install baffles to keep the insulation back away from the vents and clean the vents with a vacuum or a brush.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

If insulation has drifted over the vents you can rake it back away with a garden hoe but it will eventually drift right back. You probably need baffles to keep the insulation from intruding on the vent area. These are light styrofoam 'w' shaped pieces that anyone can install if you can get out there to the eaves. I applaud you for still trying this kind of work at 70 and for having the wisdom of knowing your own limits!

Phil

If and when you crawl into your attic, take your cell phone with you. I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba88 View Post
    When my house was new, about 35 years ago, I would go into my unlit, unfinished attic and see light showing through the soffit vents.

Now, 35 years later, when I go into the attic, it is very dark. (No it's not night time )

Is it possible that the vents are clogged with dirt or could they be covered by settled insulation?

I'm 70 years old so it's a bit hard for me to crawl over the joists to see what exactly the problem is.

If it is just dirt, is there an easy way of cleaning these vents out?
    I would say the vents being clogged is the more likely culprit after 35years. Unless someone or something was in the attic to move insulation blocking the vents, I would say this is the least likely cause.

Cleaning the vents can be simple depending on the type. A home of your vintage used metal type of vents covering a rectangle cutout in the soffit. Typically there was a screen on the back side of the vent cover to heep critters out. Over the years these will become plugged with dirt and fine debris. The vent cover needs the be removed and the vent cleaned with a stiff brush. In some cases an air compressor can blow out the dirt with the vent in place.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Remove the exterior part of the screen and clean them out with an air compressor. IN the attic, you should rake the insulation away from the soffit as well as install some sort of baffle to keep this from happening again.