+ Reply to Thread

Default Stripping latex paint off acrylic tub

I screwed up when painting and put my roller in the tub; now I have a nasty brown streak.

Is there a wonder chemical out there that is safe for use on acrylic? Does anyone have any ideas?

Cross posted in painting as well...

Thanks so much!
    Laurel

Default Re: Stripping latex paint off acrylic tub

Try soaking the smudge with wet rags. It may take several hours, but the water may soften the paint enough to where it will come off.

Another product to try -- I've seen it at Ace hardware -- is De-Solv-It. It's a citrus solvent that works on just about anything, but is safe for plastics (unlike most of the "citrus" cleaners out there which are actually petroleum-based solvents with a little orange juice to make them smell better).
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Stripping latex paint off acrylic tub

I will try that tonight, thank you! This is my first house and I'm a serious newbie, but ambitious-Bad combination.

Thanks!