Hello,
I am preparing to paint my breezeway floor. It is a 3 season room connecting my house to my garage and therefore gets a lot of traffic. The previous owners had it carpeted with indoor/outdoor carpet and obviously kept their dogs in there, so we ripped up the carpet right away.

The floor seems to have been painted at least one time before, and the carpet was glued down with a heavy duty adhesive which has left a texture on the floor. There are swirls where the carpet installer applied the glue. The glue is chipping a little bit and I would like to get rid of the texture, but I am concerned that the paint below could have lead in it.

So, my questions are... do I need to remove the glue to paint the floor? If so, how likely is it that the original paint has lead in it? (Our house is a 1930's cape cod in Morris County, New Jersey. We did find lead when our front door was replaced.) One possibility I considered... can I just sand the glue to get the texture out and paint over it?

Also, some time in the future, I would like to tile the breezeway, and therefore do not want to do anything that would make that project more difficult.

Thanks for your help!