+ Reply to Thread

Default Two lights to same switch

I have two sets of lights. One is for the ceiling lights, other is for LED light over the counter top. I want to connect them both to the same occupancy sensor switch.
    How do I wire the two sets of wall switch wires to the same switch?

Default Re: Two lights to same switch

All you need do is disconnect the wires from the one switch and connect the lead that goes to the light to the lead on the other switch that goes to that light along with a pig tail to install to the switch and cap the free wire.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-18-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Not sure if I understand.
    I disconnect the two wires from one of the switches.
    I connect the lead wire to the other switch.
    I do not connect the second wire to anything.
    Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by itredler View Post
    Not sure if I understand.
    I disconnect the two wires from one of the switches.
    I connect the lead wire to the other switch.
    I do not connect the second wire to anything.
    Is this correct?
    Yes, on each switch you have a hot wire and a wire that feeds its light. You cap the hot wire from the switch you are removing, Remove the wire from the other switch going to it's light. Connect the 2 wires going to the lights together along with a short pigtail. You will use the pigtail to reconnect to the remaining switch. The reason for the pig tail is because you don't want 2 wires on the switch screw.

Jack

Jack

sorry to be so stupid but do mean that I pigtail the two wires going to the lights together with a third wire that goes to the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by itredler View Post
    sorry to be so stupid but do mean that I pigtail the two wires going to the lights together with a third wire that goes to the switch?
    OK, Switch One has 2 wires, one is hot the other goes to the light. Remove those 2 wires and put a wire nut on the hot wire it will not be used.

Switch Two has two wires, one is hot the other goes to the light. Remove the wire that goes to the light from switch two.

Twist the two wires the go to the lights together along with one end of a short piece of wire called a pigtail.

Connect the other end of the pigtail to the screw on switch Two from which you removed the wire going to the light.

Jack

thanks, got it.
    Thanks for your time

You are welcome.

Jack