+ Reply to Thread

Default Tiling Concrete Shower Wall

I am putting a bathroom in my basement and I want to use the wall as one of my shower walls. Any suggestions on preping the concrete wall to be tiled would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Tiling Concrete Shower Wall

You need a waterproofing layer, which can either be a liquid applied or a sheet membrane. How were you planning on waterproofing the rest of the shower?

The fine folks over at the John Bridge Tile Forum can give you great detailed answers as well as guidance in choosing a waterproofing.

The other two walls are/will be studs with green board and the third will be a shower curtain.

Howdy you might want to go further in water proofing in a basement shower then green board. I'd really spend a bit more and avoid mold an rot issues- think kirdee. Another bigee is exhausting the moisture be sure to consider install an exhaust fan to the great out of doors.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Green drywall isn't waterproof and barely water resistant. There is no need or desire to use it over white drywall and a surface waterproofing such as Kerdi, which you can also use for the floor waterproofing.

Thanks for the input. I will have to check out Kirdi. As far as the exhaust goes, it will be going out the side of the house. No problems there.

I have once made a mistake of neglecting waterproofing. So make sure you so waterproofing the first thing.